The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elections

Guest Tim

Any eligibility requirements for election, if they exist, would have to be contained in your bylaws.

...eligibility requirements for election...

"Eligibility" and "election" come from the same Latin root. Electus -a -um is the fourth principal part of eligere--to choose. Therefore, it is redundant to say something like "eligible for election", like the Book does. sad.gif

"Eligibility" and "election" come from the same Latin root. Electus -a -um is the fourth principal part of eligere--to choose. Therefore, it is redundant to say something like "eligible for election", like the Book does. sad.gif

Well, I don't think I'm prepared to agree that two words with the same root in Latin are necessarily redundant in English. I think we should refer the matter to the Department of Redundancy Dept., and see what they say.

They tell me that in Czech, the words voice and vote are exactly the same word. I see a clear opportunity for redundancy there. Call out the Squad Squad.

Well, I don't think I'm prepared to agree that two words with the same root in Latin are necessarily redundant in English. I think we should refer the matter to the Department of Redundancy Dept., and see what they say.

They tell me that in Czech, the words voice and vote are exactly the same word. I see a clear opportunity for redundancy there. Call out the Squad Squad.

I think "qualified for election" would have been much better.

I think "qualified for election" would have been much better.

Well, then you get into another area that you may not want to enter. Eligible just means it's okay to vote for them, because they can be elected. And that's as far as RONR wants to go, clearly.

But when you start talking about qualified, then you begin to ask whether the Treasurer has to be able to balance a checkbook, whether the Secretary has to be able to read and write, and whether the Chair has to be able to find his Seat with both hands and a search warrant.

I don't think the General wanted to start down that path. Trusting as he did in democracy, he left the question of qualifications up to the voter, and wrote (sparingly) about eligibility alone.

Well, then you get into another area that you may not want to enter. Eligible just means it's okay to vote for them, because they can be elected. And that's as far as RONR wants to go, clearly.

But when you start talking about qualified, then you begin to ask whether the Treasurer has to be able to balance a checkbook, whether the Secretary has to be able to read and write, and whether the Chair has to be able to find his Seat with both hands and a search warrant.

I don't think the General wanted to start down that path. Trusting as he did in democracy, he left the question of qualifications up to the voter, and wrote (sparingly) about eligibility alone.

I have no problem with "eligible". My problem is with "eligible for election". Had the Book just said "eligible", I would have been as satisfied as a goat in a cabbage patch.

Shoes for industry, George - er, Gary.

I have no problem with "eligible". My problem is with "eligible for election". Had the Book just said "eligible", I would have been as satisfied as a goat in a cabbage patch.

Then you'd need: FAQ #21: What do you mean by eligible? Eligible for what? Election? Marriage? Receiving a forward pass?

Archived