The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Lack of quorum

Guest Ralph Perez

I am the new chairman of a state political party district. Each member is an elected precinct committeeman. The district is a creation of the state party authorized by the state government. The state party requires each district to create and maintain its own bylaws. This has never been done to date. Absent district bylaws, state party bylaws apply. State party rules require 50% of the members for a quorum or 7 of 14 in this case. For months I have been unable to get a meeting to fulfill the requirement of creating bylaws due to a lack of a quorum. Under new bylaws the quorum requirement can be reduced, but can’t get there from here. Since these are elected positions they cannot be removed and yet some refuse to fulfill their duties or even respond. How can I proceed or can I?

I am the new chairman of a state political party district. Each member is an elected precinct committeeman. The district is a creation of the state party authorized by the state government. The state party requires each district to create and maintain its own bylaws. This has never been done to date. Absent district bylaws, state party bylaws apply. State party rules require 50% of the members for a quorum or 7 of 14 in this case. For months I have been unable to get a meeting to fulfill the requirement of creating bylaws due to a lack of a quorum. Under new bylaws the quorum requirement can be reduced, but can’t get there from here. Since these are elected positions they cannot be removed and yet some refuse to fulfill their duties or even respond. How can I proceed or can I?

See what the state party bylaws have to say about disciplining members for nonfeasance. Otherwise you're kinda stuck. You could try serving food.

I'll take your word for it that the state-level bylaws control in this case. If they say you will have half the members for a quorum, then half the members you shall have. unsure.gif

I apologize for being late to this party. But I have to say (as another political idea, not from RONR*), perhaps Mr Perez and his allies (boy I hope he has some) could contact the electorates of these refractory elected precinct committeemen, and suggest that they get themselves more useful committeemen.

_________

* See "get away with murder" under "parliamentary forum policies."

Archived