The Official RONR Q & A Forums

no treasurer

Guest Harvey

We have a situation that no one is willing to accept nomination as treasurer. What can or cannot be done

The election for treasurer cannot be abandoned altogether. Use blank slips of paper for ballots and vote over and over again, until someone wins a majority vote and does not decline the office.

Can we still operate as an organization without an elected treasurer?

You mean can you ignore your bylaws? No.

You can continue to operate without one only until you succeed in electing one, which you may not avoid doing. If your election for treasurer is incomplete, you are required to complete it.

But if an organization reaches a point that nobody is willing to do the work required to keep it running, it may be time to talk about dissolving it. When talk like that gets started, people often begin to volunteer. Or, not.

Can we still operate as an organization without an elected treasurer?

You could operate without a treasurer while elections are ongoing, but if your organization has any significant amount of funds, it does not seem particularly wise to do this for very long. You can't just choose not to have a treasurer if your Bylaws call for one. I would seriously consider the possibility of having a current officer take on the position, as nothing in RONR prohibits someone from holding more than one office. If some volunteer comes along later, he can always resign.

I apologize for getting here late (can't I take a week off and trust you people to behave yoursleves?). But here: nothing in RONR requires the organization to restrict its treasurer to being a member (although the organization's own rules might); for that matter, especially with regard to the possibility of an outsider serving in the office, nothing in RONR (unless I'm overlooking it) prohibits the organization from paying him.

I apologize for getting here late (can't I take a week off and trust you people to behave yoursleves?). But here: nothing in RONR requires the organization to restrict its treasurer to being a member (although the organization's own rules might); for that matter, especially with regard to the possibility of an outsider serving in the office, nothing in RONR (unless I'm overlooking it) prohibits the organization from paying him.

I hear you'd do it for $4.50 per hour ($5.50 if Fluffy helps).

Archived