The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Abstain

Guest Susan

If a member has a conflict of interest on an issue that regularly comes before the board (and the member wants to abstain), does he have to verbally abstain each time the issue comes before the board?

When the vote is by voice vote, show of hands, or rising vote, abstentions are not called for. The member wishing to abstain simply refrains from voting either "aye" or "no".

I believe that with the exception of a roll-call vote, the only way you should abstain is be refraining from voting. Say neither aye nor no (voice vote), don't raise your hand (show of hands), don't stand up (rising [counted] vote], don't fill out a ballot (ballot vote, of course), etc. With a roll-call vote, when your name is called you simply say "present", which indicates you are there (should there be any question of a quorum in attendance or the number of members present) but otherwise indicates you are abstaining. I may have missed one, as I am without book today (shame shame), but you'll be hearing about that soon (and so will I). :)

What is this issue that "regularly comes before the board?" I would think that when it does, at some point a resolution should be reached (by vote), and it's done. Unless it keeps getting rejected, and renewed at each next meeting?

If a member has a conflict of interest on an issue that regularly comes before the board (and the member wants to abstain), does he have to verbally abstain each time the issue comes before the board?

"... verbally ..."?

If you are referring to debate, then the answer is "No."

The conflicted person may debate for/against anything, like any other member.

The rule in The Book is a restriction on voting, not speaking, for those issues of a "direct personal or pecuniary interest" not common to the other members.

Archived