The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Self appointment

Guest Helen Panetti

Can a member of an organization remove the name of a person selected by the nominating committee and replace it with their own name?

No. But absent any rule to the contrary a member can self nominate.

If not, then what is the process for removal of the person from that office?

If the officer has done nothing wrong you would need to wait until the next election. If the officer did do something wrong see FAQ #20.

Can a member of an organization remove the name of a person selected by the nominating committee and replace it with their own name?

Nominating committees don't appoint anyone. They nominate.

As noted, anyone who wasn't selected (nominated) by the nominating committee is free to nominate himself from the floor. But, also as noted, the report of the nominating committee can't be altered (nor is there any reason to do so).

No. But absent any rule to the contrary a member can self nominate.

If the officer has done nothing wrong you would need to wait until the next election. If the officer did do something wrong see FAQ #20.

Would she legally be an officer if the ballot was voted on under false pretense?

The nominating committee had a slate of officers to present to the members of the organization to be voted on. Before the meeting began, a particular member (the President of the organization that was having to step down because her term was up) told the committee to remove the name of the person they had chosen to nominate for vice-president because she was going to be vice-president. All of this was not brought to the attention of the organization prior to the election of officers. (This person is very intimidating so no one on the nominating committee wanted to object). Also, the elected president was there when this took place and allowed this to happen and allowed the vote to take place. I and the other members did not know about this at the time of the meeting. So my question is, "Are the officers elected that day actually officers or can I make a motion for a re-election?

None of the irregularities in the nominating process are sufficient to warrant a new election.

But you can always try to remove the vice-president from office. See FAQ #20.

I really don't understand how this can be a legal election. How can a person force the nominating committee to remove their nomination for vice president and replace it with her own?

I really don't understand how this can be a legal election. How can a person force the nominating committee to remove their nomination for vice president and replace it with her own?

No one forced the committee to do anything (unless someone held a gun on them). You can try to discipline the committee for letting the president run all over them and you try to can discipline the president for doing it, but the election is over.

But it really doesn't matter who the nominating committee put on their "slate" since the members were free to nominate and vote for anyone else.

Maybe next year no one will vote for the selections of the nominating committee.

And how did the president "force" the nominating committee to do anything?

President: I'd like to be vice president.

Nominating Committee: Okay.

Members: We elect President Outgoing to be Vice President.

Any guns, hostages, broken arms, racy photos?

The nominating committee could have said: No.

The voters could have said: We want someone else.

"Are the officers elected that day actually officers or can I make a motion for a re-election?

Well, regardless of who was nominated, members could presumably have voted for anyone they wanted. And presumably nominations from the floor were allowed (although you did not mention that).

If nobody spoke up at the time, then you pretty much have to live with the consequences. Rules do not enforce themselves, y'know. Someone has to speak up. There appears to be nothing here to constitute a continuing breach.

Can an individual serving as Nominations Committee Chair nominate themselves to for an elected office for the same organization? Is is a conflict of interest to put ones name forward?

An individual can't. But (a majority of) the nominating committee is certainly free to nominate one of their own number for office.

Can an individual serving as Nominations Committee Chair nominate themselves to for an elected office for the same organization?

It is entirely appropriate for the chair to put his own name forward, either for consideration at a meeting of the nominating committee or at the general meeting when nominations are taken from the floor.

Is is a conflict of interest to put ones name forward?

It would not be what RONR calls a "personal or pecuniary interest not in common with other members." RONR does not use the term "conflict of interest."

Archived