The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Changing a vote that has all ready passed

Guest Debra

My school staff voted to have student advisory once a week for the 2010-2011, school year. Now, our VP wants to present a proposal asking staff to vote to increase student advisory to three days a week. Can he do this after staff has voted for only one day a week? If he can, does he just bring his proposal to our Site Council, our decision-making body, and we then follow our process for voting on proposals?

My school staff voted to have student advisory once a week for the 2010-2011, school year. Now, our VP wants to present a proposal asking staff to vote to increase student advisory to three days a week. Can he do this after staff has voted for only one day a week? If he can, does he just bring his proposal to our Site Council, our decision-making body, and we then follow our process for voting on proposals?

I'm a little lost with all the different nouns, but I think the answer to your basic question is yes. The proper motion is Amend Something Previously Adopted, which has special voting requirements. Take a look at RONR (10th ed.), §35, pp. 293ff.

My school staff voted to have student advisory once a week for the 2010-2011, school year.

Okay.

Somebody voted to do X once a week.

That "somebody" was a thing called "my school staff."

Okay so far.

Now, our VP wants to present a proposal asking staff to vote to increase student advisory to three days a week.

Okay.

Somebody plans to make a motion, and change "once a week" into "three days a week."

Someone will have to make a motion when "staff" holds its meeting.

I have no idea of your VP is/isn't a member of "staff" and has/hasn't the right to attend, to make motions, to vote, etc., at this "staff" meeting.

Can he do this after staff has voted for only one day a week?

If he is a member of the "staff" (whatever that is), then YES.

A member is free to make a motion, to tweak, to fine tune, to correct, to enhance, to diminish, etc., whatever rule was put into place.

If he can, does he just bring his proposal to our Site Council, our decision-making body, and we then follow our process for voting on proposals?

"... Site Council .."?

Yeow! What is this? I thought "my school staff" (your term) was the body who adopted the rule. Where does this "Site Council" come in?

The general idea is, "Whatever body adopted a rule, is the body who has authority to alter or abolish the rule."

There is no "statute of limitations." -- Rules can be changed anytime. -- A rule adopted 7 days ago, or a rule adopted 7 years ago, can be amended, or be rescinded.

I'm a little lost with all the different nouns, but I think the answer to your basic question is yes. The proper motion is Amend Something Previously Adopted, which has special voting requirements. Take a look at RONR (10th ed.), §35, pp. 293ff.

OK, thanks to all who replied.

Archived