The Official RONR Q & A Forums

VOTE ON A RECOMMENDATION OR A MOTION

Guest MARY

Can a vote be taken on a recommendation of a committee to employee a pastor or should there be a motion and a second made to vote on the calling of a pastor of the church?

The report of the committee can conclude with the reporting member making a motion or the motion can be made independently of the report. Either way you'll need a motion (but no second if the motion arises from the committee's report).

The report of the committee can conclude with the reporting member making a motion or the motion can be made independently of the report. Either way you'll need a motion (but no second if the motion arises from the committee's report).

However, if the meeting has already been held and they congregation just went ahead and voted on calling the pastoral candidate, that action would not be invalidated because a formal motion was not put forward. A point of order could have been made at the time, but, if that did not happen, the action stands.

-Bob

The chairman of the committee is thinking that the church membership can vote on the recommendation without him on anyone else making a motion. I understand that if the motion comes form the chairman of the committee the motion does not need a second. Am I correct that the chairman, after he makes the recommendation, needs to make a motion for a vote and or a motion from the floor with a second needs to happen befor a vote?

Am I correct that the chairman, after he makes the recommendation, needs to make a motion for a vote and or a motion from the floor with a second needs to happen before a vote?

Yes. The sequence is motion, debate, vote. But the recommendation can be in the form of a motion so it seems mostly like a question of semantics.

The chairman of the committee is thinking that the church membership can vote on the recommendation without him on anyone else making a motion. I understand that if the motion comes form the chairman of the committee the motion does not need a second. Am I correct that the chairman, after he makes the recommendation, needs to make a motion for a vote and or a motion from the floor with a second needs to happen befor a vote?

A motion by the committee chair does not need a second if, in fact, he is making the motion at the direction of (a majority of) the committee, and the committee consists of more than just him.

Archived