The Official RONR Q & A Forums

vote by mail

Guest Jim DeSherlia

Recently, the Board of Trustees of our Homeowner's Association mailed ballots to eligible members on a request for expenditure. In the ballot instructions was the phrase "Ballots not received by the above date will be counted as a vote in favor of the proposal." Does RONR have a position on the way ballots were to be counted? Please note that ample time was provided as well as a postage paid return envelope.

" In recording the votes cast, the tellers ignore blank ballots and do not credit illegal votes to any candidate or choice. " RONR, p. 401

A blank is equivalent to not voting........which not returning the ballot constitutes.

RONR does not support making stuff up as you go along, even though the Board appears to enjoy doing it.

Votes by mail are invalid, unless authorized by the bylaws. RONR, pp. 408-409

Recently, the Board of Trustees of our Homeowner's Association mailed ballots to eligible members on a request for expenditure. In the ballot instructions was the phrase "Ballots not received by the above date will be counted as a vote in favor of the proposal." Does RONR have a position on the way ballots were to be counted? Please note that ample time was provided as well as a postage paid return envelope.

Just when you thought you heard the most knuckle-headed thing you ever heard of, you hear of something more knuckle-headed.

So they admitted in writing that they were planning on counting the ballots improperly, in complete violation of Robert's Rules? Wow.

IF that's the case, please point out to them that nobody moved, seconded, or returned a ballot authorizing the treasurer to pay me a thousand bucks, so that measure passed unanimously! I will be expecting a check at your earliest convenience. I also take Paypal.

I apologize for failing to mention that at the time the ballot was taken RONR was not accepted or in force. Adoption of RONR is now under consideration.

That doesn't matter. No parliamentary authority on Earth, nor any existing concept of common parliamentary law, would permit a non-returned ballot to be counted as a Yes vote.

It's absurd.

I apologize for failing to mention that at the time the ballot was taken RONR was not accepted or in force.

An assembly which has not adopted any parliamentary authority is still bound by the common parliamentary law. Ballots which have not been returned are abstentions regardless of any erroneous correspondence to the contrary. A rule in the Bylaws would be necessary to treat unreturned ballots as anything other than abstentions.

An assembly which has not adopted any parliamentary authority is still bound by the common parliamentary law. Ballots which have not been returned are abstentions regardless of any erroneous correspondence to the contrary. A rule in the Bylaws would be necessary to treat unreturned ballots as anything other than abstentions.

I like this answer, because it satisfys a curiosity I have had since 1959.

The comapany I worked for would (every four years) have a Phycologist interview and test all employees at certain levels (degrees of management) for skills. What ever..... I was young. It was a Paper Machinery co.

Interview for results: She asked me why I answered one question the way I did, or came to the conclusion I did.

I told her that my common sense told me the answer. SHE SAID THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS COMMON SENSE!! Yes of course I had argued with her.

Should I have answered "general accepted principles and such fundamentals rules taught in grade school" led to my conclusion.

So is there a site I can look at or refer to "common parliamentary law", if I am going to make a case I would need this information

So is there a site I can look at or refer to "common parliamentary law", if I am going to make a case I would need this information

The leading authority on the common parliamentary law is Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised, 10th edition. It is not available online. See The Right Book, elsewhere on this site for more information

Archived