The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion under miscellaneous business?

Slew18

Hello,

Looking for some feedback from you all. What is your thoughts on a board making a motion under a "Miscellaneous Business" topic? Not necessarily a motion that sets the tone for a policy or resolution but an informal motion that simply shows a Board's thoughts or support for a topic that they don't even have jurisdiction over (Ex. a Development Authority making an informal motion of support for something, that is allowed to be discussed under "Miscellaneous Business", to a Common Council that actually has the authority).

My past impression is that a board can make a motion about anything to do with a topic of discussion to simply gain feedback and understanding of where the rest of the board's thoughts may lie....

Thanks for any feedback!

What is your thoughts on a board making a motion under a "Miscellaneous Business" topic?

I have no idea what "Miscellaneous Business" is.

Not necessarily a motion that sets the tone for a policy or resolution but an informal motion that simply shows a Board's thoughts or support for a topic that they don't even have jurisdiction over (Ex. a Development Authority making an informal motion of support for something, that is allowed to be discussed under "Miscellaneous Business", to a Common Council that actually has the authority).

It is entirely appropriate for a deliberative assembly to make a motion expressing its position on an issue, even though the assembly itself does not have the authority to implement the desired course of action, although I would note that such a motion is no more or less "formal" than any other motion. If this is a new item of business, the appropriate heading would be "New Business." You'll have to determine if "Miscellaneous Business" is just another name for that or if it's something completely different.

The only issue I can see with "jurisdiction" is that an assembly may not take action outside the scope of the organization as defined in the Bylaws (or equivalent) unless there is a 2/3 vote to consider the motion. I don't know enough about the situation or the organization to know if that rule would apply here.

Archived