The Official RONR Q & A Forums

executive session

Guest Guest

As far as RONR is concerned any business that can be conducted in Open Session can be conducted in Executive Session and the minutes would reflect it the same. However, the minutes of an Executive Session should be approved in Executive Session as well.

So, should I have seperate minutes for Executive Sessions?

So, should I have seperate minutes for Executive Sessions?

This is not required, but it may be desirable depending on the circumstances of the particular organization. The bottom line is that the minutes of executive session must be confidential. If you need to have separate minutes to accomplish this, then do that.

This is not required, but it may be desirable depending on the circumstances of the particular organization. The bottom line is that the minutes of executive session must be confidential. If you need to have separate minutes to accomplish this, then do that.

What if the membership voted in a membership meeting that the minutes of the EB be published for their consumption. Can the EB retreat to executive session to prevent minutes from being recorded?

Also, it is my understanding that any decision of the organizaiton be recorded in minutes someplace, so even if in executive session, one cannot simply omit motions and actions from minutes altogether, right?

What if the membership voted in a membership meeting that the minutes of the EB be published for their consumption. Can the EB retreat to executive session to prevent minutes from being recorded?

No. As I noted in my first response the minutes would reflect what was done whether in Executive Session or not. The Board cannot get around providing the membership their minutes by merely going into Executive Session.

Also, it is my understanding that any decision of the organizaiton be recorded in minutes someplace, so even if in executive session, one cannot simply omit motions and actions from minutes altogether, right?

Correct.

Archived