The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Conducting Nominations

Guest Jacqui Austin

When calling for Nominations during a meeting, do we have to call for the nomination for each office 3 times?

No.

The only times I can immediately recall when things should be said three times are:

1. Summoning the spirit "Betelgeuse".
  2. Calling "MAYDAY" on the radio.
  3. Yelling "FIRE IN THE HOLE" before detonating an explosion.

Otherwise, once is usually sufficient.

No

Do you know where this comes from? We have older members of our board who insist that we call for Nominations 3 times per office. Was hoping to substantitate with facts and data that we don't have to. I have looked in RR of O and don't see anything that says we have to.

Do you know where this comes from?

I have heard that the practice was common before the days of microphones. In large meeting halls, the chairman would address the left, middle, and right sections of the hall to ensure that all members had heard him.

Was hoping to substantitate with facts and data that we don't have to. I have looked in RR of O and don't see anything that says we have to.

The proper method of calling for nominations from the floor is detailed in RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 417-418. As you will notice, there is nothing which suggests the chairman must call for nominations three times.

I have heard that the practice was common before the days of microphones. In large meeting halls, the chairman would address the left, middle, and right sections of the hall to ensure that all members had heard him.

The proper method of calling for nominations from the floor is detailed in RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 417-418. As you will notice, there is nothing which suggests the chairman must call for nominations three times.

Thanks this was very helpful!

Do you know where this comes from? We have older members of our board who insist that we call for Nominations 3 times per office. Was hoping to substantitate with facts and data that we don't have to. I have looked in RR of O and don't see anything that says we have to.

Those members must be very old indeed.

I took a quick look, and neither the earlier work, Robert's Rules of Order Revised (1915), nor the original Pocket Manual of Rules of Order (1876), have any rule about calling for nominations three times. And the latter was published so long ago that General Robert was only a Major!

...I took a quick look, and neither the earlier work, Robert's Rules of Order Revised (1915), nor the original Pocket Manual of Rules of Order (1876), have any rule about calling for nominations three times...

Has no one read my article in Spring of 2010, "Two More Myths of Three" which was published in The National Parliamentarian"?

:)

Archived