The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Chair Resignation

kevin.dyer

I understand this topic from the FAQ:

Question 1:

Is it true that the president can vote only to break a tie?

Answer:

No, it is not true that the president can vote only to break a tie. If the president is a member of the assembly, he or she has exactly the same rights and privileges as all other members have, including the right to make motions, speak in debate and to vote on all questions. However, the impartiality required of the presiding officer of an assembly (especially a large one) precludes exercising the right to make motions or debate while presiding, and also requires refraining from voting except (i) when the vote is by ballot, or (ii) whenever his or her vote will affect the result.

However, let's say the president would like to speak to a motion, or whatever, I assume they couldset aside 9resign) their duties in order to do this. I would think that setting aside his "official duties" for the time it takes the president to speak would be against the spirit of this rule. So if the president were to resign in order to speak to a motion, how long would that resignation need to be in effect? Would that resignantion need to be accepted by the assembly? If the president's meeting moderation duties were assigned due to holding an office in the organization (say CEO for example) would the he also be resigning his organization position or just the position of meeting moderator?

However, let's say the president would like to speak to a motion, or whatever, I assume they couldset aside 9resign) their duties in order to do this. I would think that setting aside his "official duties" for the time it takes the president to speak would be against the spirit of this rule. So if the president were to resign in order to speak to a motion, how long would that resignation need to be in effect? Would that resignantion need to be accepted by the assembly? If the president's meeting moderation duties were assigned due to holding an office in the organization (say CEO for example) would the he also be resigning his organization position or just the position of meeting moderator?

No, no, no.

In meetings of more than about a dozen, the chairman maintains the appearance of impartiality by not making motions, not speaking in debate and not voting unless his/her vote would affect the outcome. If the president wishes to speak to a motion, he may vacate the chair temporarily and have the vice-chairman preside. He may not retake the chair until the pending motion has been disposed of (pass/reject/refer, etc.).

Vacating the chair is temporary and does not need to be accepted by the assembly. Resigning is permanent and, once accepted by the assembly, cannot be rescinded.

-Bob

No, no, no.

In meetings of more than about a dozen, the chairman maintains the appearance of impartiality by not making motions, not speaking in debate and not voting unless his/her vote would affect the outcome. If the president wishes to speak to a motion, he may vacate the chair temporarily and have the vice-chairman preside. He may not retake the chair until the pending motion has been disposed of (pass/reject/refer, etc.).

Vacating the chair is temporary and does not need to be accepted by the assembly. Resigning is permanent and, once accepted by the assembly, cannot be rescinded.

-Bob

If there is no vice-chair listed in the organization's constitution and or bylaws, would one be temporarly posted? Who would appoint the vice-chair?

If there is no vice-chair listed in the organization's constitution and or bylaws, would one be temporarly posted? Who would appoint the vice-chair?

If there is no Vice Chair the Chair can appoint a Chair pro tem subject to the approval of the assembly who would preside until the Chair retook the chair or the assembly decided to elect someone else as the Chair pro tem.

Here's the way the meeting might proceed:

The chair: The chair recognizes Mrs. Orange for the final report of the Building Committee.

Mrs. Orange: [Gives building committee report, concluding with the motion to adopt their recommendations, including an expenditure of $100,000 for a new building.

The chair: [states the motion and calls for debate]

Option 1:

The chair: I will now relinquish the chair as I wish to speak to the motion. If there is no objection, I will Mr. Green to chair the meeting temporarily. [pause] Mr. Green is named chairman pro tem.

Option 2:

The chair: I will now relinquish the chair as I wish to speak to the motion. Since our bylaws to do not provide for a vice-chairman, I will open the floor for nominations for a member to serve temporarily as chair.

[After the chairman pro tem is elected, the chairman can step down. He/she may not resume presiding until the motion has been disposed of, even if debate goes on for some time.

-Bob

If the president wishes to speak to a motion, he may vacate the chair temporarily and have the vice-chairman preside. He may not retake the chair until the pending motion has been disposed of (pass/reject/refer, etc.).

The chairman may not retake the chair until the pending main question has been disposed of. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 383, lines 6-9)

Archived