The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election of the Nominating Committee

Guest Maureen Bramblett

How is the nominating committee selected? Does it have to be a vote of the general session?

Can they be selected by executive committee and presented to general session?

If the bylaws don't answer your question it would be the body which will be doing the electing who selects the nominating committee.

Guest Maureen Bramblett

If the bylaws don't answer your question it would be the body which will be doing the electing who selects the nominating committee.

So the by-laws can be amended to specify the selection of the nominating committee to be done by the executive board?

The bylaws can be amended to say any number of things, but that sounds like a bad idea.

...and one of the reasons that it sounds like a VERY bad idea is that members of the board will probably be seeking to become nominees themselves and they could be seen as picking nominating committee members favorable to their own candidacy.

There are times when the organization needs really new ideas and having the executive committee name the nominating committee isn't likely to allow that.

-Bob

Guest Maureen Bramblett

We are having a problem with handling an election of nominating committee members in a large general session without starting with some type of slate from the executive committee. Our governing body is telling us we have to introduce each name from the floor and have a ballot even if we only have the required 5 nominating committee members and one alternate. They are telling us we have to determine who is the alternate by the number of votes. We are a small local organization that barely gets enough "volunteers" to fill positions and are being oppressed by the rules.

Our governing body is telling us...

Whenever you hear that, ask for a citation to the rule that says so. None of those rules are to be found in RONR.

If you really are small, talk around and I'm sure you can get 3 people who aren't already officers to serve on the nominating committee.

-Bob

We have 5 people and one alternate with only the alternate who is an outgoing officer on the executive committee. We are worried about having to check 500 people for a membership card and hand out hundreds of ballots to elect 5 people who are the only ones that will be nominated. These people were asked by executive committee and board of directors members if they would serve.

So the by-laws can be amended to specify the selection of the nominating committee to be done by the executive board?

You could, but RONR advises that the nominating committee should be elected by the general membership if at all possible.

Our governing body is telling us we have to introduce each name from the floor and have a ballot even if we only have the required 5 nominating committee members and one alternate. They are telling us we have to determine who is the alternate by the number of votes.

I would double-check your Bylaws (and those of your governing body) to see if any of this is true. So far as RONR is concerned, nominations from the floor is only one of several options for nominations and an election by acclamation is appropriate if there are no more candidates than there are positions. RONR doesn't have "alternates" except in the case of convention delegates, but in that case it recommends that alternates be elected separately.

We are a small local organization that barely gets enough "volunteers" to fill positions and are being oppressed by the rules.

Well, you're being oppressed by what someone in your governing body claims the rules are. I'd double-check their claims.

We have 5 people and one alternate with only the alternate who is an outgoing officer on the executive committee. We are worried about having to check 500 people for a membership card and hand out hundreds of ballots to elect 5 people who are the only ones that will be nominated. These people were asked by executive committee and board of directors members if they would serve.

Well, I'm not sure I would agree with you that 500 people is a "small" club, but as I've noted, RONR does not require a ballot vote. You'll have to check if your rules require a ballot vote for the nominating committee. If it turns out your rules do require it and that's your big sticking point, perhaps you can just amend your Bylaws to change that part.

That's not the responsibility of the nominating committee.

I think he's still talking about the election for the nominating committee, and "we" is the assembly.

Archived