The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Electronic transactions

robert conway

Our bylaws do not allow e-mail or other electronic business.

However when looking for conflicts with State Statutes I find "Electronic Transactions" Section (17) "Transaction" means an action or set of actions occuring between two or more persons relating to the conduct of consumer, business, commercial, or governmental affairs.

Would this over ride and allow e-mail voting. Or other afairs of our board.

Our bylaws do not allow e-mail or other electronic business.

However when looking for conflicts with State Statutes I find "Electronic Transactions" Section (17) "Transaction" means an action or set of actions occuring between two or more persons relating to the conduct of consumer, business, commercial, or governmental affairs.

You will need to ask a lawyer who is familiar with the laws applicable to the organization.

That's just a definition, not a rule.

That's just a definition, not a rule.

Thank you very much.

I did not think this was relevant to a method of write in ballot our board is trying to push (write in ballot).

I found this in the State laws under "Uniform Electronic Transaction Act".

After reading, it looks like this law refers to Business transactions, not board communications via Electronics.

The board should be using RONR Voting by Mail.

The vote being called is absentee and allowed in bylaws.

A requested bylaws change requiring 2/3rds+ for adoption and membership is scattered.

Ballot has been sent with a return envelope addressed to "Association Office".

From what I have read in RONR this does not look good...marly

Archived