The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Undoing a vote

Guest too much drama

Our board collected bids for services, reviewed them, and voted to hire a specific individual for these services. When contacting the other bidders to let them know they did not recieve the contract one of them brought a much better counter-offer to the table. My question is if our board wanted to undo the previous vote to hire a different individual and go with this new "counter-offer", what would be the correct way to do it and would we simply need the 50% majority that we needed to pass it originally or would we require 2/3 or 3/4?

Help me please...I hate drama

My question is if our board wanted to undo the previous vote to hire a different individual and go with this new "counter-offer", what would be the correct way to do it and would we simply need the 50% majority that we needed to pass it originally or would we require 2/3 or 3/4?

So far as RONR is concerned, a motion to Rescind or to Amend Something Previously Adopted requires a 2/3 vote, vote of a majority of the entire membership, or a majority vote with previous notice. If contracts are involved, however, there are likely legal considerations as well and you may need to consult a lawyer.

Our board collected bids for services, reviewed them, and voted to hire a specific individual for these services. When contacting the other bidders to let them know they did not recieve the contract one of them brought a much better counter-offer to the table. My question is if our board wanted to undo the previous vote to hire a different individual and go with this new "counter-offer", what would be the correct way to do it and would we simply need the 50% majority that we needed to pass it originally or would we require 2/3 or 3/4?

Help me please...I hate drama

See RONR(10th ed.), p. 293-299 for the motion to Rescind/Amend Something Previously Adopted, which has several different voting thresholds, as Mr. Martin has indicated.

By the way, a majority is "more than half," not "50%."

Archived