The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meeting Notices

Guest Vicky

Our organization's constitution says, "Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised" shall govern all proceedings except where inconsistent with the constitution and by-laws of this organization."

We have our biennial caucus coming up, at which the executive committee is elected. The section dealing with caucus notices says, "meetings or caucuses shall be held upon seven (7) days notice at the call of the chairman or at the direction of the executive committee."

My question has to do with notice requirements. At this point in time, the only notice has been a posting of the caucus to the organization website & this notice has been posted for more than seven days prior to the caucus date. My understanding is that Robert's Rules required that an actual notice be delivered to each member, to their last known address. It is common knowledge in our organization that many members do not utilize e-mail or the internet.

Is the website posting adequate notice?

Our organization's constitution says, "Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised" shall govern all proceedings except where inconsistent with the constitution and by-laws of this organization."

We have our biennial caucus coming up, at which the executive committee is elected. The section dealing with caucus notices says, "meetings or caucuses shall be held upon seven (7) days notice at the call of the chairman or at the direction of the executive committee."

My question has to do with notice requirements. At this point in time, the only notice has been a posting of the caucus to the organization website & this notice has been posted for more than seven days prior to the caucus date. My understanding is that Robert's Rules required that an actual notice be delivered to each member, to their last known address. It is common knowledge in our organization that many members do not utilize e-mail or the internet.

There are several principles in RONR with which you must deal.

Each organization must interpret its own bylaws. [page 570, and see the principles of interpretation that follow]

"Instead of being given at a meeting, a notice can also be sent by mail to every member with the call of the meeting at which the matter is to come up for action, except where the rules of the organization provide otherwise. In such a case, the member desiring to give the notice writes a letter to the secretary alone, requesting that the notice be sent with the call of the next meeting; and the secretary should then do this at the expense of the organization." [page 118]

Unless the bylaws say otherwise, the use of e-mail is not sufficient to accomplish the requirements of "notice" as RONR says that notices are mailed. [page 116]

If the organization has a long practice that is contrary to applicable statutes, to the bylaws, or to RONR, the custom must be discontinued as soon as a point of order is raised that the custom is improper.

-Bob

I think it bears mention that this bylaw should be amended to clarify the method of notice. Although mail is the preferred method, and allowing enough days in advance for the postal system to do its work, there is still no guarantee that a member will get it (the PO does lose mail), or even read it. If they have a PO Box at the Post Office, they may not pick it up every day. And a member may be out of town at the time. However, nothing in RONR speaks to the guarantee of notice being received in this manner, only that it be sent with "reasonable" advance time so that all members could be expected to receive it in a timely manner.

"Instead of being given at a meeting, a notice can also be sent by mail to every member with the call of the meeting at which the matter is to come up for action, except where the rules of the organization provide otherwise. "

I think the important point here, as pertains to this topic, is the last phrase, which suggests the bylaws, as they define "notice", supersede RONR, even if the bylaw language is less specific. Again, however, we find ourselves at page 570ff, as is so often the case.

---

Edited to add the quoted section

Based solely upon the rules in RONR (that is to say, if the rules in RONR govern the matter), this sort of notice would be insufficient. However, a very careful review of your governing documents is needed in order to determine whether or not, based upon their provisions, this form of notice will suffice.

Archived