The Official RONR Q & A Forums

board won't publish voting member list

Guest leann824

What does a voting member do in the event the board of directors will not publish the voting members list? They cite privacy issues as the reason why they won't publish it. But due to the abuses of power that the current board is engaging in, we as members need to take the power out of the board's hands. But we cannot do that if we don't know who is on the voting members list.

We have a strong suspicion that the voting members list is stacked with people who would vote with the abusive board and they may not even be qualified to be a voting member! And there are very possibly those who should be given voting privileges who haven't been included on the voting members list. We have found occurrences of that already. State law for nonprofit corporations requires this list be available to the organization (in our state anyway).

HELP!!!

What does a voting member do in the event the board of directors will not publish the voting members list?

See Official Interpretation 2006-13 and FAQ #20.

The (general) membership could order the secretary to distribute the members' names (and contact information) but I agree that there might be legitimate privacy concerns. When I join an organization I don't assume that all members will be given my contact information. In one sense, you have to trust your elected officers. If you don't, they should be replaced.

I think this mostly falls outside the realm of RONR (and, therefore, this forum) but stay tuned (and check back after the weekend) for additional replies.

I am a member of a nonprofit and we do keep a list of members on an internet group that is available to members only. Although we don't know which of those members are voting members, contact info of other members can ge obtained from here. I don't see that as a privacy issue at all. If you join a 501c3 group, you should be able to know who the other members are.

Sounds like your board is overstepping its bounds. You should probably get some legal advice.

I am a member of a nonprofit and we do keep a list of members on an internet group that is available to members only. Although we don't know which of those members are voting members, contact info of other members can ge obtained from here. I don't see that as a privacy issue at all. If you join a 501c3 group, you should be able to know who the other members are.

I hope none of your members run a telemarketing firm, or have a good friend who does.

And where they live? And their phone numbers? E-mail addresses?

Sez who? Certainly not RONR.

Agreed. Whatever the thoughts of the board and the membership, a vote of the membership can establish the policy for this organization. Either the assembly decides to order that the membership list (names only) or the membership list (names, addresses, and phone numbers) be published or not published. It's their choice and no rule in RONR would present the organization from deciding.

-Bob

Archived