The Official RONR Q & A Forums

elections

Emily

We are about to elect three Board of Directors. AFter the nominating committee makes their report and nominations, we open the floor for additional nominees. If someone is nominated form the floor and I then have four people nominated, how do I handle the elections? One by one? Ballot? Go down the list and the person with the most votes?

Thanks.

We are about to elect three Board of Directors. AFter the nominating committee makes their report and nominations, we open the floor for additional nominees. If someone is nominated form the floor and I then have four people nominated, how do I handle the elections? One by one? Ballot? Go down the list and the person with the most votes?

Thanks.

If your bylaws require a ballot vote you must vote by ballot. Instruct the members to vote for up to three candidates. A majority (not just the most votes) is required for election. Write-in votes should also be permitted.

Thanks.

Unless your bylaws say otherwise, it'll take a majority to elect each position. If your organization does not have a rule or established custom for voting in elections, any of the accepted methods will do.

I would think a ballot would be the simplest and best for you situation. See RONR(10th ed.) p.398-404 for info on voting by ballot. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 424-429 for a comparison of methods of voting in an election.

Archived