The Official RONR Q & A Forums

BOARD SPENDING AMOUNT

Guest DAVID

OUR BOARD HAS RECENTLY SENT OUT A LETTER PRIOR TO VOTING ASKING FOR PERMISSION TO SPEND UP TO 25OOO,00 without asking for a 2/3 home owners vote on the item or project ,we have been at $5000.00 since the project was built and never had a problem ,now that they heard people are upset about that amount, they just sent out a letter lowering for a vote of only $15ooo,oo saying it has to do with inflation !!! . without home owners vote of 2/3 rds .does this seem right or shoud we be very careful since they will not need us to really say ok to anything they themselves would like to do and we will not even have a say .pleae can we get a couple of views on this matter

thank you

OUR BOARD HAS RECENTLY SENT OUT A LETTER PRIOR TO VOTING ASKING FOR PERMISSION TO SPEND UP TO 25OOO,00 without asking for a 2/3 home owners vote on the item or project ,we have been at $5000.00 since the project was built and never had a problem ,now that they heard people are upset about that amount, they just sent out a letter lowering for a vote of only $15ooo,oo saying it has to do with inflation !!! . without home owners vote of 2/3 rds .does this seem right or shoud we be very careful since they will not need us to really say ok to anything they themselves would like to do and we will not even have a say .pleae can we get a couple of views on this matter

thank you

It's up to the members to decide how much control to give the board. I imagine you're posting the question because you already have big concerns. You should share those concerns with other members. In any event, you don't want the decision to be made without responsible deliberation.

..... they will not need us to really say ok to anything they themselves would like to do and we will not even have a say ....

What does this mean? Are you saying the Board has the authority to determine how much money gets spent on this project, and that bringing the question to the home owners for a vote is more of a courtesy than a requirement? Or are you saying your Board just does whatever it wants regardless of what the homeowners think about it?

What do your governing documents (bylaws, association rules, state condo law, whatever) say about the powers and authorities given to the Board, or that are restricted from them? Is the Board exceeding its authority, violating the bylaws, or just wishing to upgrade the project legitimately to the consternation of some fiscally conservative members?

thank you

If the $5000 cap is in the bylaws, only an amendment to the bylaws could raise the board's authorized spending limit. Just having members vote to OK a higher spending cap would not do the trick.

At any rate, members should have a chance to debate a motion raising the unsupervised spending cap, and vote it down if they think such a motion is ill-advised.

As I understand what you've posted, currently the board has free hand below $5000, but must get 2/3 approval from home owners for any larger projects. The question, from a parliamentary point of view, is how the request for higher spending authority (raising the $5000 cap) is being presented to the membership; as well as how the current cap of $5000 was set in the first place.

MY QUESTION IS ,IT NORMAL TO GIVE A HOA BOARD A BOOST FROM BEING ALLOWED TO SPEND UP TO 5000.00 WITHOUT THE HOME OWNERS VOTE ,FOR THEM TO TRY TO RAISE IT FIRST TO 25000.00 AND AFTER SOME STATIC TRYING FOR 15000.000 TO SPEND AT ANY TIME WITHOUT THE HOMEOWNERS VOTING ON IT ,IN OTHER WORDS CLEARLY BE ALLOWED TO SPEND 15000.00 ON ANYTHING THEY WOULD LIKE WITHOUT EVER ASKING THE HOMEOWNERS OPINION WHICH THEY CANNOT DO NOE ,THEY ARE TRYING ITO SAY IT IS DUE TO INFLATION ,WE ARE LOOKING TO FIND OUT IF THE PROFESSIONALS WOUND VOTE YES TO THAT OR NO AND LEAVE IT THE WAY IT IS

MY QUESTION IS ,IT NORMAL TO GIVE A HOA BOARD A BOOST FROM BEING ALLOWED TO SPEND UP TO 5000.00 WITHOUT THE HOME OWNERS VOTE ,FOR THEM TO TRY TO RAISE IT FIRST TO 25000.00 AND AFTER SOME STATIC TRYING FOR 15000.000 TO SPEND AT ANY TIME WITHOUT THE HOMEOWNERS VOTING ON IT ,IN OTHER WORDS CLEARLY BE ALLOWED TO SPEND 15000.00 ON ANYTHING THEY WOULD LIKE WITHOUT EVER ASKING THE HOMEOWNERS OPINION WHICH THEY CANNOT DO NOE ,THEY ARE TRYING ITO SAY IT IS DUE TO INFLATION ,WE ARE LOOKING TO FIND OUT IF THE PROFESSIONALS WOUND VOTE YES TO THAT OR NO AND LEAVE IT THE WAY IT IS

Okay, then, as I said in the other thread, this question is beyond the scope of RONR and this forum. If the board is proposing that the limit on what it can spend without the authorization of the society be raised from $5,000 to $15,000, the members will need to vote on this proposal based on what they feel is in the best interests of the society. I have absolutely no knowledge of your society except for the posts on this forum, so my opinions on this subject would not be terribly useful. I'm also not particularly experienced with HOA's so I'm not sure if this is "normal" (although if the posts on this forum are any indication, the fact that something is "normal" does not necessarily mean it is a good idea).

In any event, the role of this forum is to discuss proper parliamentary procedure under Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised. That is, we are concerned with the procedures used for an assembly to make decisions, not with the merits of the decisions themselves.

Whether or not something is "normal" has no bearing on whether or not it is advisable or in order. RONR's suggestion is that the members deliberate on the matter through full and free discussion to determine the best course of action to be taken in the name of the entire group.

Whether or not something is "normal" has no bearing on whether or not it is advisable or in order.

Well, I think that might be going a little too far. Whether a given practice is considered to be "normal" for other societies of the same type seems to be germane to the issue, although it is certainly not the only factor to be considered. I agree, however, that whether a motion is "normal," in and of itself, has no bearing on whether the motion is in order.

Archived