The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Chairman's authority

Guest Michael

Having just been elected the Chair of an appointed City Government Board, to what extent can the Chair make motions, or engage in the debate and discussion of any motion or business, when there are only 7 members (inc. the Chair)? My reading of NONR seems to indicate small Boards have more latitude, whereas large deliberative bodies, assemblies, associations, so on, do not provide for anything except strict impartiality of the Chair, and no debate is allowed by the Chair, as well. Help! Otherwise, I am mute, and it's too small a group, and we are prohibited from speaking to one another outside of Board meetings on any subject which might come up for a vote. Just what, besides Chairing a meeting, then, is it useful?

Having just been elected the Chair of an appointed City Government Board, to what extent can the Chair make motions, or engage in the debate and discussion of any motion or business, when there are only 7 members (inc. the Chair)?

My reading of RONR seems to indicate small Boards have more latitude, whereas large deliberative bodies, assemblies, associations, so on, do not provide for anything except strict impartiality of the Chair, and no debate is allowed by the Chair, as well.

If the assembly is under "about a dozen" (that is the numeric precision of the rule), then the more relaxed "small boards and committees" subset of rules can be invoked.

In the "small boards and committees" subset of rules, the chair is often the most active participant, making motions and voting alongside the other voters.

My reading of NONR seems to indicate small Boards have more latitude

Your reading is essentially correct. But bear in mind that a small board is still a deliberative assembly that still follows rules, and if necessary under adverse circumstances, it would not be inappropriate to enforce them. I'm thinking here, just as one example, of the rule about one person speaking at at time, which in a larger assembly is controlled by the chair, the recognition of whom all members must gain to obtain the floor. In a small board meeting where the requirement to obtain the floor is not actively enforced, that doesn't mean the "one at a time" rule isn't still the best way to discuss/debate issues, and not everyone yammering away at the same time. As chair, you are still presiding and are charged with running an orderly and efficient meeting. A small group can get out of hand sometimes easier than a large group.

Archived