The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Petitions for Nomination

Guest Michele Ritter

Guest Michele Ritter

A national organization is in the position of nominees running from the floor for four of the five open positions on the Board: President, Recording Secretary and three Directors. When I write five positions, there are other positions that the Nominating Committee filled, but there is no one running from the floor for those positions and it is my understanding that the "unopposed" candidates are considered elected by acclamation.

Some of those running from the floor have submitted petitions wherein two names for two different positions are on the same petition, with signatures of members in good standing below. As each office is a separate office, is it acceptable to have two petitioner's names on the same petition?

I interpret your post to say that the required number of members have signed a petition nominating two people for two different offices and you are asking whether this is proper. It does not violate any rule I could find in RONR [see p424] but your organization's rules might dictact, e.g. the form of the nomnating petiton and you wold have to comple with those rules.

-Bob

When I write five positions, there are other positions that the Nominating Committee filled, but there is no one running from the floor for those positions and it is my understanding that the "unopposed" candidates are considered elected by acclamation.

Well, they aren't elected yet, but the President may declare the unopposed candidates elected by acclamation when you actually have the elections, provided that your Bylaws do not require a ballot vote.

As each office is a separate office, is it acceptable to have two petitioner's names on the same petition?

It would violate no rule in RONR.

Archived