The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Speaking of "ex-officio"...

Randyl Kent Plampin

Greetings:

Speaking of "ex-officio." Can we get a spelling change next time around? I realize that probably most people do not care one way or the other but the dictionary actually says that "ex officio" is the correct spelling. This problem was introduced in the 1970 edition and has persisted ever since. Currently in the 11th edition there are 20 occurrences of "ex-officio" and 3 cases of "Ex-Officio." In two weird instances both correct and incorrect spellings occur in the same sentence! (p. 484 l. 3-4 and p. 497 l. 23-26)

Let me make it easier for everyone: pp. xviii, 448, 457, 483, 484, 497, 579, 587, 675, 680, 687, 691, 701, and 703.

Best regards,

Randyl Kent Plampin

It depends on the usage.

When used as an adjective, there's a hyphen (e.g. an ex-officio member of the committee).

When used as an adverbial phrase, no hyphen (e.g. Jim serves, ex officio, as a member of the committee).

[Which I explained in a recent post that was apparently deleted by The Wrathful One.]

Greetings:

No, silly! Just the hyphen.

It depends on the usage.

When used as an adjective, there's a hyphen (e.g. an ex-officio member of the committee).

When used as an adverbial phrase, no hyphen (e.g. Jim serves, ex officio, as a member of the committee).

[Which I explained in a recent post that was apparently deleted by The Wrathful One.]

However, if there is a grammatical reason for hyphenated as versus non-hyphenated "ex officio" then I will leave that up to the experts in that field.

As to any "Wrathful One" you are pretty much on your own. I have had some of my stuff deleted and it took with it a comment by another one of the book's authors, so I need to watch my p's and q's and stay out of trouble myself.

Best regards,
Randyl Kent Plampin

Well, then, why didn't you? :)

Greetings:

I did not see the gentleman's posting on this subject which would have provided some guidance. It was deleted, right? Not being a grammarian and being in doubt, I made my posting and the gentlemen have set me straight. What else could I ask for? B)

Best regards,

Randyl Kent Plampin

Archived