The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to Adjourn

Demack

I know a motion to adjourn has to voted on no matter when in a meeting the motion is made. 

My question is if a motion to adjourn at a specific time is made at the beginning of a meeting can it be debated or not seconded therefor failing ? I guess I'm asking is a motion to adjourn at a specific time treated as a motion to adjourn? 

I know a motion to adjourn has to voted on no matter when in a meeting the motion is made. 

My question is if a motion to adjourn at a specific time is made at the beginning of a meeting can it be debated or not seconded therefor failing ? I guess I'm asking is a motion to adjourn at a specific time treated as a motion to adjourn? 

A motion to adjourn at a specific time is handled as an incidental main motion, not as the privileged motion to Adjourn. Such a motion is debatable and amendable and can be made only when no motion is pending. Such a motion requires a second, but I would note that this is also true of the privileged motion to Adjourn. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 234-235.

Archived