The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaws Ignored Causes Confusion

Guest Lynette

The  June 2018 DATE  to elect new  officers for 2019 was missed. The old officers terms are up 12/31/18. Just last week the president and treasurer resigned and walked away from the organization.

The VP wants to call a special meeting this month to elect officers but the timing is an issue (10 day notice required for special meeting). It’s the holidays and they may not get a quorum.

Since the bylaws have been consistently ignored, I say call special meeting in January 2019 and elect new officers.

What suggestions do you have? Do you open the special meeting suspending the bylaws that you have to break?

39 minutes ago, Guest Lynette said:

The  June 2018 DATE  to elect new  officers for 2019 was missed. The old officers terms are up 12/31/18. Just last week the president and treasurer resigned and walked away from the organization.

The VP wants to call a special meeting this month to elect officers but the timing is an issue (10 day notice required for special meeting). It’s the holidays and they may not get a quorum.

Since the bylaws have been consistently ignored, I say call special meeting in January 2019 and elect new officers.

What suggestions do you have? Do you open the special meeting suspending the bylaws that you have to break?

It does not seem to me that any rules in the bylaws need to be suspended (which is good, since they generally cannot be suspended). If an assembly fails to complete its elections at the proper time, it can and should complete the elections as soon as possible. It is not necessary to suspend any rules in order to do so. If there is some other portion of the bylaws you are proposing to suspend other than the June 2018 election date, please clarify. The rules cannot be suspended, for instance, to suspend the notice requirement for a special meeting, or the time at which the terms of officers expire.

The VP is now the President (automatically, unless your bylaws say otherwise).

I agree that you should now follow your bylaws as they apply to calling of special meetings (Can the President call them by themself?). Following the bylaws includes following the notice requirements. It's up to whoever has the authority to call the meeting to decide whether they think quorum will show up if it's before Xmas.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.