The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Inappropriate President Emails

Guest Redder Drake

Our nonprofit has email accounts through Google. I am the Secretary of the Board and am an administrator on these accounts. It has came to light that our Board President has emailed our staff with inappropriate comments about the Board as a whole. Can I along with the VP, and Treasurer rightfully access his email to verify this behavior?

Email administrators usually have a wide latitude with the accounts they manage. The actual owner of the accounts, perhaps the board as a whole, may have something to say about any rummaging through accounts. Perhaps you should deal with this question as a disciplinary matter and make a motion at a board meeting that would establish an investigative committee to investigate "the rumors of inappropriate comments injurious to this board by the current president" or some such words. The committee will then attempt to discover the truth of the matter, but more importantly, the committee may have to ask the board for the permission to access the email accounts and in this fashion relieve you and other officers of personal responsibility in case something goes terribly wrong, and as a board member I would much prefer the board taking the heat rather than me.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.