The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minority reports on rejected proposals

Michael Seebeck

Newbie here with a question.

Our Bylaws committee was mandated by our convention to come up with two specific proposals to present to them to the next convention.  The majority of the committee has declined to present those proposals, and has written its report to reflect that.  There are minority reports written for those proposals.

So here's the question:  Can those minority reports be presented to the next convention (subject to their approval, of course) based on the fact that a committee (majority) report exists and is presented in itself, even though the content of the committee (majority) report has no proposals, or is is entirely dependent on content within the report instead of the report merely being there?  As one of the authors of the minority reports and their proposals, I would argue that the existence of the committee (majority) report alone is enough sans its content to allow minority reports to be presented, especially since the minority reports reflect the will of the convention and the committee (majority) report does not.

But am I right or wrong?  I honestly am not sure, and would appreciate advice on this. Thanks

1 hour ago, Michael Seebeck said:

Newbie here with a question.

Our Bylaws committee was mandated by our convention to come up with two specific proposals to present to them to the next convention.  The majority of the committee has declined to present those proposals, and has written its report to reflect that.  There are minority reports written for those proposals.

So here's the question:  Can those minority reports be presented to the next convention (subject to their approval, of course) based on the fact that a committee (majority) report exists and is presented in itself, even though the content of the committee (majority) report has no proposals, or is is entirely dependent on content within the report instead of the report merely being there?  As one of the authors of the minority reports and their proposals, I would argue that the existence of the committee (majority) report alone is enough sans its content to allow minority reports to be presented, especially since the minority reports reflect the will of the convention and the committee (majority) report does not.

But am I right or wrong?  I honestly am not sure, and would appreciate advice on this. Thanks

The minority may request the permission of the convention to present the reports, and if this permission is granted, the reports may be presented.

In any event, the individual members of the committee are free to make their own motions as individuals, subject to any limitations in the convention’s rules.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.