The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nomination and election meeting cancellation

Guest Diane Lessard

13 hours ago, Guest Diane Lessard said:

How should we handle the elections?

It depends. Please answer the following questions. Quote any relevant provisions from your bylaws exactly.

• What, if anything, do your bylaws say about method(s) of absentee voting and/or electronic meetings?
  • When is the next meeting of the society? Is it possible to call a special meeting of the society?
  • What do your bylaws say regarding the term of office for officers?
  • What, if anything, do your bylaws say regarding filling vacancies?
  • Do your bylaws include a clause to the effect of "the board shall have full power and authority to act for the society between meetings of the membership?"

13 hours ago, Guest Diane Lessard said:

Can we have the elections via email and phone calls to our membership?

Only if your bylaws authorize voting by these methods.

Edited by Josh Martin

• 4 weeks later...

Our club recently conducted officer elections by mail-in ballot with a postmark deadline of April 8.  Three ballots

were received on April 9.  We agree the ballots did not meet the requited deadline; therefore, were not counted. 

My question is, are the late ballots discarded or are they counted as "illegal" ballots on the tally?  It makes a difference

in calculating the "majority" of votes cast.  For example, if 50 votes were cast, but 5 did not meet the post marked

deadline, do we have 50 votes cast with 5 spoiled or illegal votes? Or do we have 45 votes?

If we have 50 votes, the winner of the election must receive at 25 votes to win the majority vote.  If we have 45 votes,

the inner of the election must receive 23 votes to win the majority vote.   I appreciate your interpretation(s)!

Click on the words "separate thread" in my answer above.

I found your question on three different threads. I answered on the one where you had created a new thread, which is the preferred way of asking new questions on this forum.

Edited by Atul Kapur

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.