The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board nomination lapse

Guest Liz

I am on the board of a sport club. Our bylaws state that either 3 or 4 or the 7 board member positions are open for nominations after a 2 year term. Last year we had a VP resign, and a new person stepped up after a request to the general membership. 2 board members-at-large switched places (one became secretary, the other the treasurer). The upshot was that the board never organized a nominating committee or a slate of  board members to be installed last year. Could a motion be crafted to remedy this situation before we tackle nominations for this year? Thank you.

14 minutes ago, Guest Liz said:

I am on the board of a sport club. Our bylaws state that either 3 or 4 or the 7 board member positions are open for nominations after a 2 year term. Last year we had a VP resign, and a new person stepped up after a request to the general membership. 2 board members-at-large switched places (one became secretary, the other the treasurer). The upshot was that the board never organized a nominating committee or a slate of  board members to be installed last year. Could a motion be crafted to remedy this situation before we tackle nominations for this year? Thank you.

If I understand the facts, no election ever occurred last year. The only way to remedy this situation is to have the election as your bylaws require, although it will be very late. So you will actually be electing all seven board members this year. For the three board members which should have been elected last year, the election will be for the remaining time on their term, and for the other positions the election will be for a full term.

The other question is whether the persons currently serving in the positions, who were not properly elected to these positions, can continue to serve in those positions until the election is completed. It seems to me this depends on what the bylaws say regarding the term of office and what they say regarding filling vacancies.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.