The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Petitions from shareholders

Guest Cindy

Because of the pandemic, our co-op was unable to hold our annual shareholders meeting.  We sent a newsletter around stating this.  The Board of Trustees received a petition from the community where 34 shareholders voted to wait until the next annual meeting and 9 indicated they wanted to hold the elections right away.  This original petition was done in June of 2020.  

Here it is October 2020 and the Board of Trustees received a new petition demanding the elections be held outside.  Keep in mind this is a community where the average resident's age is 70 and many are high-risk for the COVID.  

My question is this:  I have been told that the first petition is still in effect, which makes the second petition moot.  Is this true?  

31 minutes ago, Guest Cindy said:

Because of the pandemic, our co-op was unable to hold our annual shareholders meeting.  We sent a newsletter around stating this.  The Board of Trustees received a petition from the community where 34 shareholders voted to wait until the next annual meeting and 9 indicated they wanted to hold the elections right away.  This original petition was done in June of 2020.  

Here it is October 2020 and the Board of Trustees received a new petition demanding the elections be held outside.  Keep in mind this is a community where the average resident's age is 70 and many are high-risk for the COVID.  

My question is this:  I have been told that the first petition is still in effect, which makes the second petition moot.  Is this true?  

RONR has no rules concerning petitions. The rules pertaining to this matter are most likely found in your co-op's bylaws or in state law.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.