The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Timing of Succession

Wright Stuff

On 7/12/2024 at 7:09 PM, Wright Stuff said:

The Executive Committee met. The Vice Chair announced to the committee that the Chair submitted his resignation. There was no vote to accept the resignation. The Vice Chair announced that he was the new Chair. The Executive Committee was okay with it. LOL. So much for rules. 

Well, I suppose if there is no objection to any of this, the Executive Committee effectively accepted the resignation without objection (which is not unusual), and also elected the Chair as Vice Chair without objection, and the Executive Committee will now need to fill the resulting vacancy in the office of Vice Chair.

On 7/12/2024 at 7:54 PM, Wright Stuff said:

What does the bolded sentence below from 32:7 mean when it says a request to be excused from a duty (resignation) is a question of privilege?

It means exactly what it says, although I would note that only resignations from an office "essential to the functioning of a society or assembly" are questions of privilege.

A question of privilege is a "request or main motion relating to the rights and privileges of the assembly or any of its members."

Generally speaking, the fact that something is (or is not) a question of privilege doesn't matter much. It may matter if it is desired for the question of privilege to interrupt pending business. See RONR (12th ed.) Section 19.

On 7/13/2024 at 10:32 AM, Richard Brown said:

I suspect it’s just more of a custom that this organization has never required that resignations be formally accepted in the past.

I will say that my experience, both on and off this forum, many (even most) organizations are unaware of the requirement for resignations to be accepted, and many organizations are even outright hostile to the idea. Most organizations are under the mistaken belief that a resignation is effective immediately upon receipt, unless otherwise provided in the resignation itself or in the organization's rules.

Thanks, again, for all of the responses. I now have a better understanding, I think. It has become obvious that there is no enthusiasm for RONR in this large organization, so I will not waste my time (or yours) on them anymore. They are part of a larger organization, and it appears that the larger organization is not very interested, either. The sad part is that RONR could help them solve many of their very extensive problems. There's no way to help someone who doesn't want to help themselves!

Edited by Wright Stuff
Typo

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.