The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Thanksgiving ticket

Mark41

I live in a senior hig-rise, and our club is selling a Tankgiving ticket to make a free meal.  We are going to use the profits to pay for a free dinner for the seniors who have no family or place to go.  I kneed to know if I need a motion and vote to do this, and can it just be agrred to by the body?  I am thinking we do, but my Vice-President is say we do not need a formal vote.

Our members have agreed to make the food, we just needed help purchasing the food, hence the ticket.

The advantage of actually proposing a motion and then adopting it is that the motion will (or should be) crystal clear as to exactly what you plan to do.  How much the tickets will cost, how you will select the people to give the dinner to, and so on, whoes responsible for collecting and distributing money (or food), and the like.

If you don't do this, and go the Vice-President's route of just agreeing to so "something", there is a good chance that things may go wrong and you end up with arguments.

When money is involved, it always pays off to plan with care.

I live in a senior high-rise, and our club is selling a Tankgiving ticket to make a free meal. 

We are going to use the profits to pay for a free dinner for the seniors who have no family or place to go.  I kneed to know if I need a motion and vote to do this, and can it just be agrred to by the body?  I am thinking we do, but my Vice-President is say we do not need a formal vote.

Our members have agreed to make the food, we just needed help purchasing the food, hence the ticket.

If no assets of the [condo?] association are being used, and if 100% of the money and labor is volunteer, then why get the association involved at all?

Just do it, as neighbors, as volunteers.

What is stopping you from doing all this without any association involvement?

If you are using association money, or association risk (i.e., insurance; liability; etc.), then, yes, you must get association permission to put assets of the assocation on the line for loss or damage.

It would a disciplinary offense for an officer to damage or use-up association property for personal use. -- Right? -- So, likewise for a group of people doing the same.

I mean, really: Think about it . . .

What would you tell the quiet member of the association who didn't know of the recent damage to the recreation room would cost him an extra $100 this year, due to an accident or fire?

Why should members pay for the damage to the common property, when 98% of the members were "out of the loop" on the decision?

Archived