The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Authority to appoint a Parliamentarian

Willie Watson

We have never had a parliamentarian in our organization. If the presiding officer wants to appoint a parliamentarian does that require approval and if so from whom?  Can the President just say I am going to appoint John Doe as the parliamentarian for the meeting (the bylaws are silent on this issue and we have adopted RONR in our bylaws).

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Willie Watson said:

If the presiding officer wants to appoint a parliamentarian does that require approval and if so from whom?  

Can the President just say I am going to appoint John Doe as the parliamentarian for the meeting?

The body which is meeting has the final word on any non-members being tolerated inside the meeting room, such as a parliamentarian.

Meetings are members-only.

The president cannot impose his chosen parliamentarian on the board (or general membership), unilaterally.

However, if the party chosen is already a member of the body which is meeting, then, of course, my above caution won't apply. -- You cannot kick out a true member, just because that member is (also) serving as the parliamentarian.

As to payment, consider this:

The president is free to pay, out of his own pocket, the fee of the parliamentarian, if the president thinks that money will be a sticking point.

The organization need not know that private funds are being used. -- Or, the organization might be pleased to know that organizational funds are not being spent.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.