The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Seeking opinions not votes

TheAdvocate

What if members want to just discuss a topic but they don't necessarily want to vote on it. This could be valuable because it's an opportunity for members to see how others feel about something, and to give them something to think about until a future meeting. Or sometimes, you just want feedback on something.

Example: A member wants to whether or not other members felt Event X was successful or not, and why. What do you do? Rise and make a motion and say, "I move to discuss how Event X went"?

Also, sometimes people want to acknowledge people's achievements in meetings, for example, "I would like the minutes to reflect the deep sacrifice Mary Jane made during Event X. Without her, it wouldn't have been successful."

In all the above cases, these are things that need to be said or discussed, but a voting motion is not really involved. Where does it fit into the agenda? How do you execute such items?

What if members want to just discuss a topic but they don't necessarily want to vote on it. This could be valuable because it's an opportunity for members to see how others feel about something, and to give them something to think about until a future meeting. Or sometimes, you just want feedback on something.

Have a picnic and talk all you want. Or check out the section on Committee of the Whole (pp.512-525).

Also, sometimes people want to acknowledge people's achievements in meetings, for example, "I would like the minutes to reflect the deep sacrifice Mary Jane made during Event X. Without her, it wouldn't have been successful."

Make a motion to recognize the contributions made by Mary Jane and that a certificate be presented to her at a ceremony at the annual dinner.

What if members want to just discuss a topic but they don't necessarily want to vote on it.

Example: A member wants to whether or not other members felt Event X was successful or not, and why. What do you do? Rise and make a motion and say, "I move to discuss how Event X went"?

Create an exploratory committee to research this topic, and come back with its findings.

Maybe the event was one big bust. The committee will hash out the whys and wherefores regarding excellence and failure, and produce a nice, written report, listing each aspect, with documentation.

This would be a resolution.

E.g., "I move that the following resolution be adopted: Resolved, That the Clue Club thanks Mrs. Peacock for solving the mystery of the murder of Mr. Boddy, who was done in by a candlestick in the conservatory."

If you want to RECOGNIZE sacrifice, then recognize it officially, by having the club vote affirmatively on a resolution of thanks, praise, honor, and/or recognition.

Have a picnic and talk all you want. Or check out the section on Committee of the Whole (pp.512-525).

Make a motion to recognize the contributions made by Mary Jane and that a certificate be presented to her at a ceremony at the annual dinner.

Let's forget the certificate. I just want her efforts recognized in the minutes. So, I would rise and say, "I move that this body recognize the deep sacrifices Mary Jane has made for Event X." So, if someone seconds it, it would go to a vote? (That could be controversial if even a couple of people decide to oppose it publicly!)

Create an exploratory committee to research this topic, and come back with its findings.

Maybe the event was one big bust. The committee will hash out the whys and wherefores regarding excellence and failure, and produce a nice, written report, listing each aspect, with documentation.

Okay, so everyone is looking at their splendidly prepared report. Some wish to ask questions about it and discuss it. But they can't, can they? Because such actions don't really lead to voting, and RR meetings are strictly action oriented, no?

Let's forget the certificate. I just want her efforts recognized in the minutes. So, I would rise and say, "I move that this body recognize the deep sacrifices Mary Jane has made for Event X." So, if someone seconds it, it would go to a vote? (That could be controversial if even a couple of people decide to oppose it publicly!)

So you want the organization to recognize Mary Jane's efforts without giving the members who think Mary Jane might not have been the saint you think she is a chance to speak?

Okay, so everyone is looking at their splendidly prepared report.

Some wish to ask questions about it and discuss it.

But they can't, can they?

Because such actions don't really lead to voting, and RR meetings are strictly action oriented, no?

Correct.

When a report is presented, and the report contains no move-able motions (e.g., recommendations; resolutions; amendments to existing policies and procedures, etc.), then the report is just filed.

But you DO have your answers! - The committee found the answer(s), and documented them.

(As Arlo Gutrie said in "Alice's Restaurant") "with 27 8 x 10 glossy colour photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one."

You should have no questions at that point. Else the committee failed to do its job, didn't it?

I mean, whoever is ASKING the question had a full opportunity to SERVE on the committee, and answer his own questions about the event. And he would have had help formulating the questions, and help formulating the answers, too.

Correct.

When a report is presented, and the report contains no move-able motions (e.g., recommendations; resolutions; amendments to existing policies and procedures, etc.), then the report is just filed.

But you DO have your answers! - The committee found the answer(s), and documented them.

(As Arlo Gutrie said in "Alice's Restaurant") "with 27 8 x 10 glossy colour photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one."

You should have no questions at that point. Else the committee failed to do its job, didn't it?

I mean, whoever is ASKING the question had a full opportunity to SERVE on the committee, and answer his own questions about the event. And he would have had help formulating the questions, and help formulating the answers, too.

Thanks for your response! But can't a member rise and ask a simple question or two about the report if he or she needs some clarification?

Certainly. It's called a Point of Information. See p.282.

The advice of people who misspell "color" should be taken with a grain of salt.

I didn't misspell color - I took it verbatim from the web site which held the lyrics. They had "colour".

If it's good enough for Arlo, it's good enough for me.

:)

So, if someone seconds it, it would go to a vote?

Courtesy resolutions are often handled by unanimous consent, but if a member objected, then it would be debated and voted upon. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 51, lines 23-26; pg. 52, lines 9-20)

(That could be controversial if even a couple of people decide to oppose it publicly!)

Indeed. If you think that is a major concern, I would consult with your chair and make sure he brushes up on the rules of decorum. (RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 379-382)

The advice of people who misspell "color" should be taken with a grain of salt.

"Colour" is the British spelling.

But Arlo Guthrie is not British.

I don't mind that Arlo Guthrie is not British.

I don't mind that Arlo Guthrie spells "color" as "colour".

What's wrong? Don't you trust web sites which contain lyrics of Arlo Guthrie? Don't you trust Arlo Guthrie?

Why is Arlo Guthrie's spelling so important to you? Are you a fan?

Archived