The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Objection to an appointment made by the president

Guest Suzanne

Q. First of all, is the president authorized to do the appointing?

That is, an objection based on "You can't do that!" is one thing.

An objection based on "What a lousy choice, you half-wit!" is another thing.

So, what is the objection itself based on?

(a.) a violation of the rules, or exceeding the scope of the authority to appoint?

(b.) the foolishness or riskiness of the choice itself?

I am not clear if the objector is the person who the President is appointing or another member. If it is the person who is being appointed I would hope the President would appoint someone else. If you are talking about another member making the objection the answer then hinges on what authority the President has to make the appointment. Is this authority located in the bylaws, or did the members give him the authority, or did the President decide to make the appointment with no authority in the first place?

Q. First of all, is the president authorized to do the appointing?

That is, an objection based on "You can't do that!" is one thing.

An objection based on "What a lousy choice, you half-wit!" is another thing.

So, what is the objection itself based on?

(a.) a violation of the rules, or exceeding the scope of the authority to appoint?

(b.) the foolishness or riskiness of the choice itself?

Or, in the alternative, what can I do to get off the committee, other than just not reviewing the minutes. I've done that for 4 years, 2 years as secretary, one year as president elect and one year as president, and I'm over it.

I, the appointee, don't want it. I objected to the appointment of myself on the committee to review and approve the minutes of meetings.

Then decline.

When the appointment occurs, immediately say, "I decline the opportunity, thank you."

If you cannot do that immediately, then go through normal channels, and resign, in writing.

Archived