The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Order of Business

Guest Sylvia

I belong to a political organization where members are elected. There is a Board, bylaws and we follow Roberts Rules of Order. A new Chairman has not asked for officer or committee reports his first two meetings to the dismay of those who had something to report and to members. Our by laws have an order of business that calls for a financial report and secretary reading of the minutes but in the past, all Chairs have asked for a report of officers and asked each one and then a report of the committees (fundraising, senior affairs etc). Do we address this with the Chair stating that a precedent has been set and we request the reports of officers and committees be continued? How do we force the issue?  Do we also need to change the meeting agenda in the by laws?

The standard order of business in RONR calls for reports of officers and committees.  If your bylaws specify a different order of business, that supersedes anything in RONR.  

Check the bylaws for the method of amending them, and either delete or change the order of business that's listed there.  You can also suspend the normal order of business at any meeting by a 2/3 vote.

You can hardly blame the new chairman for following the bylaws.  

16 hours ago, Guest Sylvia said:

I belong to a political organization where members are elected. There is a Board, bylaws and we follow Roberts Rules of Order. A new Chairman has not asked for officer or committee reports his first two meetings to the dismay of those who had something to report and to members. Our by laws have an order of business that calls for a financial report and secretary reading of the minutes but in the past, all Chairs have asked for a report of officers and asked each one and then a report of the committees (fundraising, senior affairs etc). Do we address this with the Chair stating that a precedent has been set and we request the reports of officers and committees be continued? How do we force the issue?  Do we also need to change the meeting agenda in the by laws?

I agree with Mr. Novosielski regarding the long-term solution. In the interim, it appears that members can make motions to receive those reports they wish to present, or request unanimous consent to give a report. At least, that is my reading of the only sentence I could find which addresses the subject.

”Even before a report has been read, a motion to receive it is unnecessary if the time for its reception is established by the order of business, or if no member objects (see also below).” (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 508)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.