The Official RONR Q & A Forums

regular board meetings and special meetings

Guest lisa

We have a regular board meeting scheduled, the president wants to change it to a special meeting because everyone couldn't attend a special meeting he had scheduled. Is this proper procedure?

I'd have to chime in with no on this one.

First of all, if you have a regular board meeting scheduled, then this meeting almost certainly must be held. I'm assuming that by "regular" you mean a meeting that is defined in the bylaws (such as "Second Tuesday of the month"). If that's the case, you can't not hold that meeting.

It doesn't sound like the president knows what a special meeting is. A Special Meeting is a meeting that is held between regular meetings to address an issue (or issues) of such importance that it can't wait until the next regular meeting. Special meetings can not be held unless your bylaws authorize them, and the bylaws should also detail who can call such meetings, and the required notice.

I have a sense a little more information is waiting to trickle out, so please feel free to elaborate.

THe presisdent is actually being led into this by the recording secretary who really wants the meeting. The corresponding secretary typed and disseminated drafts of by-laws, the recording secretary is upset because she believes it was her duty.

THe presisdent is actually being led into this by the recording secretary who really wants the meeting. The corresponding secretary typed and disseminated drafts of by-laws, the recording secretary is upset because she believes it was her duty.

Lisa - although I suppose I could interpret all this, I have learned my lesson long ago. What is the purpose of the special meeting that is so urgent it can't wait?

It sounds like you've got a secretarial cat fight on your hands, but I'm not sure what this has to do with anything. And if the president proposes to take certain actions (possibly canceling a regular board meeting and calling a special meeting, which he may not even be authorized to do) because the recording secretary is leading him around in some way, then ... bad president! :angry:

But, we still don't (in my opinion) have a clear picture of what is going on back at the ranch, and until then, all answers are at best rough guesses, and at worst wild conjecture.

We have a regular board meeting scheduled, the president wants to change it to a special meeting because everyone couldn't attend a special meeting he had scheduled. Is this proper procedure?

I don't see how. RONR doesn't provide a method for changing a regular meeting to a special meeting, nor does that make any sense.

No, it makes no sense. There's no way to "change" a regular meeting to make it "special".

Besides, any business that could be conducted at that poorly attended special meeting could simply be brought up at the regular meeting. So there is no need to change anything.

(That may be why there is no method to do so in RONR.)

No, nor is there any reason to do so. The purpose of a special meeting is to handle items of business which can't wait until a regular meeting. If you are already having a regular meeting, the items of business can simply be conducted at that time.

Archived