The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting a member out of a company/organization

Guest BCW112

Recently a motion was made to remove a member from our organization, the motion failed. The President wants to bring the motion up for a vote again at the next meeting, can this be done ? Can he "unring a bell" ?

The motion was probably not in order in the first place, but it appears that the assembly voted to NOT ring the bell, so I don't see that the "unring the bell" metaphor fits. See RONR (11th ed.), Chapter XX, for the proper way to give a member the boot.

Chris - I will confirm that it was. The BOD discusses and decides on disciplinary action of members. In the case of termination the company has to vote on it and it didn't go the way the BOD & Pres. wanted.

Tim - What I meant by Unring a bell is that the company voted against the motion to terminate the member of the company motion was made, members voted to keep the person bell has been rung

What I meant by Unring a bell is that the company voted against the motion to terminate the member of the company motion was made, members voted to keep the person bell has been rung

I'm afraid that's not a very helpful way to look at a defeated motion.

A defeated motion can be made again ("renewed") by any member at each and every subsequent regular meeting as if it had never been made. In other words, you can keep trying to ring the bell.

Tim - What I meant by Unring a bell is that the company voted against the motion to terminate the member of the company motion was made, members voted to keep the person bell has been rung

As Edgar has mentioned, there's nothing wrong with renewing the motion at the next session, provided that your organization allows the board to consider such a motion without the recommendation of an investigating committee.

As Edgar has mentioned, there's nothing wrong with renewing the motion at the next session, provided that your organization allows the board to consider such a motion without the recommendation of an investigating committee.

Wouldn't Official Interpretation 2006-12 have some bearing on this question?

Wouldn't Official Interpretation 2006-12 have some bearing on this question?

Maybe I missed something, but I was under the impression that the OP is saying that the board defeated a motion and wants to renew it at the next session.

However, I read the thread again with your insinuation in mind, and if the board indeed has to initiate the disciplinary proceedings and then turn it over to a higher body for final decision, it seems that it may be in the nature of a recommendation, which the board has the authority to make in accordance with the bylaws (according to the post). So, the board's recommendation or initiation of the process would not reverse the decision of the higher body. The details of the bylaws may be the determining factor in this debate.

A similar situation might be a membership committee that recommends an individual for membership, who is subsequently turned down by the society. While the committee cannot overturn that decision, it could later recommend the same individual.

Maybe I missed something, but I was under the impression that the OP is saying that the board defeated a motion and wants to renew it at the next session.

However, I read the thread again with your insinuation in mind, and if the board indeed has to initiate the disciplinary proceedings and then turn it over to a higher body for final decision, it seems that it may be in the nature of a recommendation, which the board has the authority to make in accordance with the bylaws (according to the post). So, the board's recommendation or initiation of the process would not reverse the decision of the higher body. The details of the bylaws may be the determining factor in this debate.

A similar situation might be a membership committee that recommends an individual for membership, who is subsequently turned down by the society. While the committee cannot overturn that decision, it could later recommend the same individual.

Works for me. Good analogy.

Archived