The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election Procedure

SeeCwriter

The situation is this, there are three openings on a board, and four people have been nominated to fill those positions. Does RRO define a procedure for deciding who wins the election? I haven't been able to find anything in the manual, but I may have missed it.

Well, the usual procedure is TO HOLD AN ELECTION.

• ballots (blank sheets of paper) are passed out.

• members (i.e., "voters") write down their candidates' (maximum 3 for you) names.

• collect and count the ballots - majority vote wins.

The situation is this, there are three openings on a board, and four people have been nominated to fill those positions. Does RRO define a procedure for deciding who wins the election? I haven't been able to find anything in the manual, but I may have missed it.

Elaborating a bit on Kim's response, if 106 ballots were collected, and 6 were blank, then the tellers would ignore the 6 blank, and report:

100 ballots cast;

51 votes needed for election;

63 votes for Jane Smith;

57 votes for John Jones;

48 votes for Sherry Hicks;

41 votes for Alice Roberts.

The chair would repeat the report, adding that Jane and John were elected, and immediately order another balloting to elect one person for the remaining position.

Had all 4 obtained 51 or more votes, then the top 3 vote-getters would be elected.

Thanks,

Steve

Try page 427, lines, 6-19.

Archived