The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion Pending Approval of another Committee

Guest Sue

The Conistory of our church approved a motion "Pending approval of Finance Committee" The Finance committee met and made a motion to change the dollar ammount that Consistory approved. Should this have been an amendment to the Consitory's motion, did we have to vote against their motion first then make a new motion, or could we just make a new motion with our amount since the original motion was pending our approval?

Should this have been an amendment to the Consitory's motion, did we have to vote against their motion first then make a new motion, or could we just make a new motion with our amount since the original motion was pending our approval?

As a general rule, if one body makes a recommendation to another, the second body may amend the motion as it sees fit. I suspect there are customized rules at play here, however, and the interpretation of those rules is up to the society.

The Conistory of our church approved a motion "Pending approval of Finance Committee".

The Finance committee met and made a motion to change the dollar amount that Consistory approved.

Should this have been an amendment to the Consitory's motion,

did we have to vote against their motion first then make a new motion,

or could we just make a new motion with our amount since the original motion was pending our approval?

I don't know what a "conistory" is.

I don't know the relationship between (a.) conistory; (b.) finanace committee.

Who reports to whom?

Let's assume that the body called "conistory" is superior to the committee.

When a body approves X and adds that X will take effect only if another (inferior) party agrees, then the inferior party can only do what was authorized.

If the inferior body cannnot or will not fulfill the approved act, then their only recourse is convince the superior body to amend the approved act into a form which can be fulfilled.

Archived