The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Treasurers Duties and reports

Gene

Robert's Rules of Order discuss an audit committee or members of the organizations audit team.

Our organization Bylaws and Policies provide for a Financial Compilation by a Professional CPA who is paid for the service of reviewing the transactions, the bank account registers, (reconciled by the Treasurer) and provides a full report of the findings to the Board. This CPA also completes the income tax 990 and 990T forma for signature by the treasurer. This Financial Compilation with a balance sheet is published annually in our National Publication.

Does Robert's Rules have specific rules that require a committee from the organization to review the financial records or if the Bylaws and policies are being followed is the procedure considered adequate?

Thanks

Does Robert's Rules have specific rules that require a committee from the organization to review the financial records or if the Bylaws and policies are being followed is the procedure considered adequate?

It is entirely appropriate to have the audit be conducted by a CPA, and this is advisable if the amounts involved are large, the financial records are complicated, or the organization's contributors require it. An audit committee is an acceptable alternative for small organizations which have no need for a professional accountant. It is not necessary to do both.

It is entirely appropriate to have the audit be conducted by a CPA, and this is advisable if the amounts involved are large, the financial records are complicated, or the organization's contributors require it. An audit committee is an acceptable alternative for small organizations which have no need for a professional accountant. It is not necessary to do both.

Thank you. I am the Treasurer for our organization and have been for the past six years. The amount of funds in this non-profit organization is in the 6 figure range and including the incoming dues payments and authorized outgoing expenditures (two signatures required on each check) I record about 500 transactions each month. The president has recently sent the following message to the Board.

"Since my last Board Update, no one has expressed any interest in pursuing improvements in reporting or financial procedures. It is important to note that the current practice is consistent with OCA Bylaws but inconsistent with the guidance provided by Robert’s Rules of Order."

I was unsure of how to respond to this statement, so I need to understand how RRoR addresses the subject.

Again, I thank you.

The amount of funds in this non-profit organization is in the 6 figure range and including the incoming dues payments and authorized outgoing expenditures (two signatures required on each check) I record about 500 transactions each month.

That certainly sounds like the sort of organization which should have its audit conducted by professionals.

"Since my last Board Update, no one has expressed any interest in pursuing improvements in reporting or financial procedures. It is important to note that the current practice is consistent with OCA Bylaws but inconsistent with the guidance provided by Robert’s Rules of Order."

I was unsure of how to respond to this statement, so I need to understand how RRoR addresses the subject.

The President is mistaken. You should refer him to RONR, 10th ed., pg. 461, lines 31-34.

Archived