The Official RONR Q & A Forums

From Immediate Past President to President

Guest Don

Topic Description pretty much states my question.

Our board (small board) has an immediate past president, president, and president elect, among other officers. The president elect has resigned. Convention and elections will take place this August. The board will appoint someone to fill the president elect position in the interim. The nominating committee's slate is due this month. The immediate past president has indicated a desire to stand for election to the president position. As he will not be on the committee's slate, his standing for election by the membership at convention will be against the committee's nominee.

Firstly, can the immediate past president be appointed by the board to temporarily fill the president elect position? Then, subsequently, stand for election to president?

Secondly, if that occurs, as a formality, does he resign as immediate past president?

Don

Firstly, can the immediate past president be appointed by the board to temporarily fill the president elect position? Then, subsequently, stand for election to president?

Secondly, if that occurs, as a formality, does he resign as immediate past president?

Firstly, no rule in RONR would prevent the board from appointing the immediate past president as president-elect.

Secondly, no rule in RONR would prevent the immediate past president from also serving as president-elect, so no resignation is necessary.

But if you have an office of president elect, then no one ever gets directly elected to the office of president. The president-elect becomes the president.

So, is there an office of president-elect or are you just referring to a person who has been elected president but has not yet taken office?

The president elect is our next president, and assumes the presidency at the next convention.

Just to be perfectly clear, when you voted for this person, did you vote for him as president-elect or did you vote for him as president?

Some organizations have an office of president-elect. A person elected to that office serves for a term as president-elect (say, one year) and then automatically serves as the next president. So you never vote directly for the president, just for the person who will become the president.

More typically, a person will be elected president but won't take office for a few days, weeks, or months. During that time he is referred to as the president-elect but doesn't hold an office yet. So you never vote for the president-elect and there's never a vacancy in the "office" of president-elect.

Firstly, can the immediate past president be appointed by the board to temporarily fill the president elect position?

Provided that your Bylaws give the board the authority to fill vacancies, sure.

Then, subsequently, stand for election to president?

Yes.

I don't see any need for that, as there will be a new Immediate Past President when the election is over anyway.

Just to be perfectly clear, when you voted for this person, did you vote for him as president-elect or did you vote for him as president?

Some organizations have an office of president-elect. A person elected to that office serves for a term as president-elect (say, one year) and then automatically serves as the next president. So you never vote directly for the president, just for the person who will become the president.

More typically, a person will be elected president but won't take office for a few days, weeks, or months. During that time he is referred to as the president-elect but doesn't hold an office yet. So you never vote for the president-elect and there's never a vacancy in the "office" of president-elect.

Your first paragraph: we voted the person in as president-elect, to serve two years as president-elect and then assume the position of president. Your second paragraph states our situation.

We have a vacant president-elect office, which we will fill temporarily between now and convention by board appointment. This is where I'm bogging down as I run it through my head over and over. At convention, the membership will then need to vote in a president to serve the next term. We will also need to vote the nominating committee's slate, which will include a president-elect.

Am I correct?

Don

At convention, the membership will then need to vote in a president to serve the next term.

As I understand it, organizations that have an office of president-elect never vote directly for a president since that office is filled "automatically" by the president-elect when the time comes. So by appointing a new president-elect you have, in effect, selected your next president.

Archived