The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting in new Officers

BoB/335

I am in an organization that voted in new officers last night. A question arose as to how to go about this.

Is it proper to have all nominations for all positions and vote on an entire slate or vote on one position at a time?

Example: Someone running for president loses in the vote and then wants to run for 2nd Vise-president. If that name is only allowed on the president nomination and then voting is on the entire slate, the person who loses the vote for president does not have the opportunity to run for any other positions.

Can the reference be sited from Robert's Rules of Order concerning this?

Thank you!

Bob

Is it proper to have all nominations for all positions and vote on an entire slate?

Yes, that method is proper.

Or vote on one position at a time?

Yes, that method is proper.

Example:

Someone running for president loses in the vote and then wants to run for 2nd Vise-president.

If that name is only allowed on the president nomination and then voting is on the entire slate, the person who loses the vote for president does not have the opportunity to run for any other positions.

True.

But that is the #1 drawback of voting for all positions simultaneously via a written ballot. -- The "loser" of Office X cannot rally voter support for Office X-1 (the lesser office).

Mr. Loser is would be dependent on the voters voting for him (i.e., writing in his name) in every office down the "slate", which, psychologically-speaking, isn't going to happen, as people don't vote that way on a written ballot.

That is one reason of the popularity of the good old "one office at a time" method. -- Mr. Loser can rally voter support, and psychological support, by enthusiastically campaigning for the next office in line.

The #1 drawback of this method is slowness of final results. -- It is faster to count each ballot once, and tally every office on that ballot, than to count the same number of ballots multiplied by the number of open offices.

Who has that much free time in their meeting hour?

If that name is only allowed on the president nomination and then voting is on the entire slate, the person who loses the vote for president does not have the opportunity to run for any other positions.

Nothing in RONR prohibits the member from running for multiple positions on the same ballot.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their replys. I decided that I think I'm just going to quit this organization and there are those who just want to have it their way. What a shame. I don't expect to be back here but I am thankful to have found this forum!

Archived