The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Revisiting a voted Item

Guest Board Member

At one of our board meeting our Director, donated a Grill and stated that the grill was worth $1,500 and was in good condition since it was used only 2 months and also with that donation she asked for sponsorship for her children to play for free within our league, which we voted and said yes.

After inspecting the Grill at the directors house it was noticed that the grill need the grides(sp?) and or sand blasted to remove the rust, the piping needs to replaced, which will cost more than the sponsorship.

When it was asked by a board member to revisit this agreement, the director stated no and that its final and the donation and sponsorship stands and that this board has to make provision to get the grill and bring it to our league.

What do we do, that this director do this??

When it was asked by a board member to revisit this agreement, the director stated no and that its final and the donation and sponsorship stands and that this board has to make provision to get the grill and bring it to our league.

I see no reason, from a parliamentary perspective, why the motion cannot be rescinded. The motion to Rescind requires a 2/3 vote, vote of a majority of the entire membership, or a majority vote with previous notice. If the director is suggesting the agreement has some legal force, you'll need to consult a lawyer about that.

Since you say "the director" and "our director" rather than "a director," I take it this is an employee of the society rather than a member of the Board of Directors. If this is the kind of shenanigans she's going to pull, maybe it's time to get a new director. Hoodwinking one's employer tends to be a poor career decision. :)

In addition to thinking about getting a new director, as Mr. Martin suggests, you might also think about getting some new board members. It seems they didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth and ended up buying a pig in a poke.

[My entry for the archaic, animal-related, mixed metaphor award]

Archived