The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Vote to Rescind

David A Foulkes

The vote to Rescind requires (a ) a two-thirds vote, (b ) majority vote with notice, or (c ) "a vote of the majority of the entire membership - whichever is most practical to obtain."

Regarding option C, at a meeting of a society with a membership of 100 at which 51 are present, does that mean a majority vote "of the majority of the entire membership" adopts the motion?

I've had it in my head that the language was actually "a majority vote of the entire membership", which would mean 51 affirmative votes. But "a vote of the majority of the entire membership" suggests that as long as 51 members cast votes, 26 votes will adopt.

Is it me, again?

Regarding option C, at a meeting of a society with a membership of 100 at which 51 are present, does that mean a majority vote "of the majority of the entire membership" adopts the motion?

If the entire membership is 100, a vote of a majority of the entire membership is 51. In the example provided, a 2/3 vote will certainly be easier to obtain. :)

I've had it in my head that the language was actually "a majority vote of the entire membership", which would mean 51 affirmative votes. But "a vote of the majority of the entire membership" suggests that as long as 51 members cast votes, 26 votes will adopt.

Is it me, again?

Yes, it's just you. Personally, I think "a majority vote of the entire membership" is the more ambiguous phrase.

Is it me, again?

I'm afraid so.

Just as a majority vote refers to the number of affirmative votes (being more than half the votes cast), and a two-thirds vote refers to the number of affirmative votes (being at least twice the number of negative votes cast), so does the vote of a majority of the entire membership refer to the number of affirmative votes.

Archived