The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Revising By-Laws

Guest Phyllis

Our council of our organization is revising the by-laws. Does the council need to get the by-law revisions out to the general membership before the general meeting where it will be voted on, or can the changes be distributed at the general meeting with no prior notice?

The bylaws should always prescribe the procedure for their amendment, and such provision should always require at least that advance notice be given in a specified manner, and that the amendment be approved by a two thirds vote. If the bylaws contain no provision for their amendment, they can be amended at any business meeting by a two-thirds vote, provided that previous notice (see p 116) has been given; or, without notice, they can be amended at any regular meeting by vote of the majority of the entire membership. (RONR 10th Ed, p. 562 ll. 9-18)

So, do your bylaws have anything to say about it?

Our council of our organization is revising the by-laws.

I assume you mean that the council will be proposing changes to the bylaws. The actual changes (amendments) to the bylaws will be made by the general membership and may differ considerably from what the council proposes.

[As always, your rules may vary.]

Our council of our organization is revising the by-laws.

Does the council need to get the by-law revisions out to the general membership before the general meeting where it will be voted on,

or

can the changes be distributed at the general meeting with no prior notice?

Any notice requirement should be clearly spelled out in your bylaws' METHOD OF AMENDMENT.

Q. Do you know what your method of amendment is?

Q. Is there a notice requirement?

Q. And where, in your method of amendment, does your council get into the act?

I assume you mean that the council will be proposing changes to the bylaws. The actual changes (amendments) to the bylaws will be made by the general membership and may differ considerably from what the council proposes.

[As always, your rules may vary.]

I read the original post to suggest the council was acting (if you will) as a Bylaw Committee, since Phyllis did mention bring the "revision" to the general membership for a vote at an upcoming general meeting. Of course, how the council is empowered to act in this regard would need to be defined in the bylaws as well, I suppose. Nonetheless, her question seemed to be more on the topic of notice.

Archived