The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Parliamentarian serving on Standing Committee

Guest J. A. Barrett

Our organization is in the process of revising its bylaws. Previous notice has been given and the proposed revision presented with rationale at a special meeting called for that purpose. Two questions, the first concerns the acceptability of having the Advisor/Parliamentarian (proposed new title) designated as a member of a Standing Committee (Budget Committee); the second has to do with the Bylaws Committee’s role in possibly recommending amendments based on discussion and members comments at the “special” meeting.

1. Our present bylaws call for the immediate past President to be the “Advisor “to the Association (the newly elected President has no choice). It is not clear in our current document as to whether or not she is a voting member of the Board.

The proposed revision allows the President with the approval of the Board to appoint any past President to the position. The added duties for the position call for her to be the Parliamentarian of the Association. Another section of the proposed revision specifies the Advisor/Parliamentarian serve as a member of the “Budget” Committee (a Standing Committee). I am a member of the Bylaws Committee and am of the opinion that given the requirement that a parliamentarian “maintain position of impartiality, etc.” it is not appropriate to specify she be a committee member with full voting rights. We have some budgetary and monetary accounting problems at present that were initiated and perpetuated by recent officers. This was one of the reasons for the revision.

My question, Is it permissible and/or appropriate for a member serving as parliamentarian to be a designated member of a Standing Committee. If so, are there any conditions that should be included in our proposal?

2. Role of the bylaws committee in the amendment process.

It is my position that the bylaws committee should do everything possible to facilitate the deliberate process and proposed the following:

• The committee takes responsibility for developing and submitting appropriate language for areas that appear to have consensus from the membership. As an example, changing the date the Financial Oversight Committee submits its report to the Board from June to July. (Article VII–Section 1A wording, “strike June, replace with July”)

• The committee prepare a list of items where there appears to be a need for some modification based on members comments during the question and answer period of the special meeting and circulate it to the membership prior to the upcoming special meeting.

• The committee prepare suggestions for wording where we know there are issues and have them on hand to assist the membership

The Chair of our Bylaws Committee (Association’s current Advisor) is of the opinion that we have done our job so it is up to the membership to put any desired amendment on the floor and committee members should stay out of things. Nothing but a model for how to state a motion will be given to the membership before the next meeting.

I intend to propose at least one amendment for consideration. It concerns adding a Section to the Article on “Duties of the Board”. I would like to send this out along with a list of possible action items. Given the Chair’s contention I am not sure whether this would be permissible.

My question, Is it permissible and/or appropriate for a member serving as parliamentarian to be a designated member of a Standing Committee. If so, are there any conditions that should be included in our proposal?

The Parliamentarian is only required to remain impartial in assemblies in which he serves as parliamentarian. For instance, he could serve as Parliamentarian for the general membership, but be a fully participating member of a standing committee. The only caveat would then be that the parliamentarian should never be the reporting member of the committee, as this would conflict with his appearance of impartiality. Just keep those facts in mind and the rest is up to your assembly.

I intend to propose at least one amendment for consideration. It concerns adding a Section to the Article on “Duties of the Board”. I would like to send this out along with a list of possible action items. Given the Chair’s contention I am not sure whether this would be permissible.

If notice has already been given to the general membership, the proposal is out of the hands of the committee. You can propose your amendment at the meeting of the general membership like everyone else.

Archived