The Official RONR Q & A Forums

General Membership Meeting

Guest Kadi

Our organization's bylaws state that we are to have a general membership meeting once a year. That's pretty much all they say about it. It has always been timed with one of our biggest events of the year.

In the past, the President has run this meeting and has basically controlled everything. Told people what topics will and won't be discussed, ended discussion when they felt like it, only allowed motions when they wanted an item to go to vote, told the membership the board would take thing into consideration when they didn't like the direction things were going, refused to even allow discussion on items they didn't want discussed, etc.

Who is actually supposed to run this meeting? What section(s) in RONR should I be reading? At this years meeting I'd like to be prepared to challenge the board and make this a membership meeting, like it's supposed to be, not a board meeting with a little bit of controlled membership input.

Generally only members are allowed in this meeting, although a few non-members have been allowed to sit in, but are not supposed to participate. These are usually the judge(s) for our year end competition, maybe a few guests that have traveled from another country to compete, etc. Membership is open to anyone though who pays the membership fee and fills out an application. Is it acceptable to have a parlimentarian attend the meeting, as long as they are a member?

Our organization's bylaws state that we are to have a general membership meeting once a year. That's pretty much all they say about it. It has always been timed with one of our biggest events of the year.

In the past, the President has run this meeting and has basically controlled everything. Told people what topics will and won't be discussed, ended discussion when they felt like it, only allowed motions when they wanted an item to go to vote, told the membership the board would take thing into consideration when they didn't like the direction things were going, refused to even allow discussion on items they didn't want discussed, etc.

Who is actually supposed to run this meeting? What section(s) in RONR should I be reading? At this years meeting I'd like to be prepared to challenge the board and make this a membership meeting, like it's supposed to be, not a board meeting with a little bit of controlled membership input.

Generally only members are allowed in this meeting, although a few non-members have been allowed to sit in, but are not supposed to participate. These are usually the judge(s) for our year end competition, maybe a few guests that have traveled from another country to compete, etc. Membership is open to anyone though who pays the membership fee and fills out an application. Is it acceptable to have a parlimentarian attend the meeting, as long as they are a member?

Have you reviewed the bylaws to see if any of these issues are addressed in the bylaws?

It's doubtful the president has these powers but if he/she acts as if it's the case and gets away with it, then he has obtained the powers by default. "You snooze, you lose."

Raise a point of order noting the president does not have those powers. Be prepared to quote the bylaws and to appeal his ruling if necessary.

-Bob

Have you reviewed the bylaws to see if any of these issues are addressed in the bylaws?

They are not, at least not that I can see. It simply says we are to have a general membership meeting, what constitutes a quorum for the meeting, but nothing about how the meeting is to be conducted. So RONR would then take effect. There are sections regarding how meetings are to be conducted, but they are specific to board meetings.

It's doubtful the president has these powers but if he/she acts as if it's the case and gets away with it, then he has obtained the powers by default. "You snooze, you lose."

This is why I want to be prepared ahead of time, so nobody is "snoozing". The meeting isn't until the Fall, so I have time to brush up on RONR.

Pretty much all you have described regarding the actions of the President goes against the basics of parliamentary procedure. Your best bet, since you have some time, is get a copy of RONR - In Brief, which lays out most of what you need to know in a very readable format. References are made to The Book (10th Edition at this point) so it wouldn't hurt to have that handy as well.

A few key points:

1. The Board is not present at a general membership meeting. Board members who are also general members are there only in that capacity. The Board, as that entity, only exists at Board meetings. Beyond the fact that the President, who is likely a Board member as well, is presiding, he too is there as a general member, and should stick to the duties of the presiding officer, which means he basically "runs" the meeting, but has little input, especially in dictating what motions can be heard, or debate can be offered.
  2. A parliamentarian, whether a member or not, is there primarily to serve as counsel for the President on parliamentary matters. His advice can be ignored by the President, and he doesn't make rulings or decisions. In his capacity, he is precluded from participating in the meeting (making motions, debating, voting) much as the President is, although with a few exceptions. Whereas the President may vote when by ballot or to affect the result of the vote, he can and must relinquish the chair in order to participate more fully, making motions, and debating, and voting in general. The parliamentarian has no such options. It may be best to get a non-member parliamentarian who is more neutral on the organizations matters, and can offer objective advice.

Who is actually supposed to run this meeting?

The general membership.

What section(s) in RONR should I be reading?

I would read RONR In Brief to get a grasp of the basics, and in the big book I would read sections 23 and 24 (on Point of Order and Appeal) since you'll be needing to use those motions a lot if your President tries the same nonsense this year. If you think you can get a 2/3 vote, I'd also read Section 25 (on Suspend the Rules) and Official Interpretation 2006-2. Then you'll just have to battle the President while you replace him with someone who follows the rules rather than fighting him for the whole meeting.

Is it acceptable to have a parlimentarian attend the meeting, as long as they are a member?

They don't even have to be a member, but getting a parliamentarian, in and of itself, isn't going to solve your problem. The role of the parliamentarian is to quietly advise the chairman, so it won't do much good if the chairman doesn't care about the rules. If you do manage to Suspend the Rules to replace the chairman, then a parliamentarian might be helpful.

Archived