The Official RONR Q & A Forums

appointed officer

sangamonese

I am President of an "affiliate" club. The parent club has created a new position and says that how this position is filled is not mandated.

In one place the position is called an "appointed officer" and in another it is called an "appointed position".

The first person that was appointed to this position by the Board of Directors was removed and replaced. This member is now saying that she was a member of the Board and that we illegally replaced her.

That can not possibly be, since our Bylaws say nothing about either appointing officers or removing them.

What our Bylaws do address is the removal of a Committee Chair, however Committee Chairs are never members of the Board.

TIA for any help you can provide.

It does, pp 447-451, but not sure that's what you're looking for. It speaks of executive secretary and parliamentarian. Your use of the term seems much more generic. Is RONR your parliamentary authority? If so, you might check Ch XX for the proper procedures. If your bylaws are silent as to responsibilities in this matter, they might also be silent as to authority, so you perhaps shouldn't assume "free reign".

I think you need to go back to the Parent club and get some clarity here. They're the ones who started this mess, they ought to have a hand in cleaning it up. Given what you've told us so far, anything RONR can help you with will be a generic application that will depend heavily on details you probably can only guess at until the Parent club offers some answers.

That can not possibly be, since our Bylaws say nothing about either appointing officers or removing them.

In that case, the individual is correct that you've been violating your Bylaws, but not in a way that will be of benefit to her. :)

Does RONR define "appointed officer" and if a club's Bylaws have no provision for such an officer then doesn't the club have free rein in replacing said "officer"?

RONR discusses some officers which are commonly appointed positions in organizations in RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 447-451. If a club's Bylaws have no provisions for appointed officers, you can't have them. Your club has the officers specified in its Bylaws, and you can't add more without amending the Bylaws. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 571, lines 24-35) In other words, removing the person isn't the issue. It was improper to create the position in the first place.

But since your parent club is the one that instigated this to begin with, you might want to check their Bylaws too.

thanks ..I am waiting on an answer from the parent club...Yes, this is a mess... and I doubt anyone would be surprised to know that the parent club "doesn't want to get involved in these things"

I am ready with the ...."you created it" line!

I did read the section starting on pg 447 and did not think that it applied to this question.

Our Bylaws do contain a section on disciplinary action for suspension and/or expulsion and they do mandate how to relieve a committee chair of that position and yes, RONR are our mandated parliamentary authority, deferring to our Bylaws.

I am still very fuzzy on suspending the rules and discipline at meetings.

I have also gone from having one copy of RONR to carry to club meetings, to three!!! One for my briefcase, one for here by my computer and one for upstairs on the nightstand.

Can we say obsessed???

Your club has the officers specified in its Bylaws, and you can't add more without amending the Bylaws. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 571, lines 24-35) In other words, removing the person isn't the issue. It was improper to create the position in the first place.

Great point... how do you do that... highlight the quoted text??

I guess that will be added to the top of my list.. creating the position :)

WHAT? You don't sleep with it under your pillow?????????

Thanks for all the help with this qustion....

I have decided to advise the Board that we need to make an amendment to the Bylaws, add this position and define exactly what the position is...

I waited for direction from the "parent" club, none was forthcoming...

Archived