The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to Pospone

Guest Melvin Pittman

At an official meeting earlier in February, an agenda was set for a meeting on February 28. All in atendance agreed to those items for that meeting. At a meeting on February 21, a motion was made by aomeone who was not at the previous meeting to pospone the vote on the items for February 28 to a later meeting. Is this motion to pospone proper ? I would think that the motion to pospone would have bben appropriate at the February 28th meeting with the items on the agenda, instead of the Febraury 21 meeting when the items were not on the agenda. Am I correct or incorrect?

At an official meeting earlier in February, an agenda was set for a meeting on February 28. All in atendance agreed to those items for that meeting. At a meeting on February 21, a motion was made by aomeone who was not at the previous meeting to pospone the vote on the items for February 28 to a later meeting. Is this motion to pospone proper ?

No, because the motion would interfere with the freedom of a later session. For the same reason, the agenda set "earlier in February" is not binding until it is adopted at the February 28 meeting. It is also not proper to attempt to postpone a whole swath of items at once. Also, I'm not sure if this was just an error in wording or if the member actually intended this, but it is not possible to postpone just the vote on an item. When the motion comes up at the later meeting, it is open to debate, amendment, and the application of other subsidiary motions.

I would think that the motion to pospone would have bben appropriate at the February 28th meeting with the items on the agenda, instead of the Febraury 21 meeting when the items were not on the agenda. Am I correct or incorrect?

You are partially correct. The currently proposed motion will still be out of order as the motion to Postpone Definitely is applied to a single item of business. Motions to postpone the items individually to "a later meeting," however, will be in order at the February 28 meeting, so long as by "a later meeting" you mean "the next meeting." Trying to postpone items further than that would once again interfere with the freedom of each new session.

Also, would a motion to Table the items be in order in the above situation?

No. The motion to Lay on the Table may only be applied when a motion is pending and it is used to set aside a motion temporarily so that some other urgent item of business may be considered. See FAQ #12.

No, because the motion would interfere with the freedom of a later session.

I wondered if one (or more) of these meetings might be special meetings in which case the "agenda" might actually be the notice of the meeting and, therefore, would restrict the business that can be considered.

The frequency of the meetings (three in February?) made me think these might not be regular meetings. On the other hand, there might be regular weekly meetings.

I wondered if one (or more) of these meetings might be special meetings in which case the "agenda" might actually be the notice of the meeting and, therefore, would restrict the business that can be considered.

It's possible, but other than my answer regarding the agenda, I don't think that would change anything.

The frequency of the meetings (three in February?) made me think these might not be regular meetings.

Some assemblies meet that frequently.

Archived