The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rogue Chairman

christconnell

This is my problem:

The Constitution States:

Section 2 - The Chairman shall appoint, with the approval of the full committee at a meeting at which a quorum is present, such standing sub-committees, their chairmen and such other officers as may be required in the administration of the county committee's business, as long as their functions do not violate any of the provisions of the constitution, bylaws or the applicable state laws. The Chairman shall be considered an ex-officio member of all standing sub-committees appointed. Other ad hoc committees and their chairmen may be appointed by the Chairman without approval of the County Executive Committee.

The Bylaws state:

Article IV - Standing Sub-Committees

The committee shall have two (2) standing sub-committees, which will be chaired by committeemen and committeewomen

Section 1 - Finance Sub-Committee

Section 2 - Membership Sub-Committee

My issue is that there are an additional 6 sub-committees that have been in existence for at least 5 years and the chairman is calling them ad hoc so that he can rule appoint his people to them without the approval of the committee.

In my opinion, you cannot call a standing sub-committee an ad hoc committee for the sole purpose of avoiding committee approval. What motion do I need to keep him from doing this?

John Galt

My issue is that there are an additional 6 sub-committees that have been in existence for at least 5 years and the chairman is calling them ad hoc so that he can rule appoint his people to them without the approval of the committee.

In my opinion, you cannot call a standing sub-committee an ad hoc committee for the sole purpose of avoiding committee approval. What motion do I need to keep him from doing this?

It's not entirely clear to me that these are standing sub-committees. Per your Bylaws, you only have two standing sub-committees, and additional standing sub-committees may only be created by amending your Bylaws. Nevertheless, this is ultimately a question of Bylaws interpretation. If you feel the chairman is exceeding his authority by appointing the members without the approval of the assembly, you may raise a Point of Order to that effect. If the chair rules your point not well taken, you may Appeal from the ruling of the chair. A majority vote is required to overturn the chair's ruling.

Archived